3 wks. post op

syaohio
on 9/14/14 8:32 am
with

It will be on Monday....I can not eat anything, I have sugar free popsicles and drink water, everytime I even look in the fridge, cabinets or anything I just feel so nauseated...I had to take all the protein powders, vitamins and such off the shelves, could not even stand to look at them.  I have terrible heart burn, I take my omeprazole each morning but it seems to give me heart burn also. On rare occasions I have ate a little cottage cheese with some diced small sugar free peaches...I have a burning in my throat all the time and today I actually felt like someone had tried to choke me because on one side it hurts and if I rub my throat it feels sore.  I have tried going to the store a few times but after walking for about 20 mins. I start feeling really weak and sick...I am not dehydrated, urine is still pale yellow...

Have you had this problem?

What do you eat?

What did you use to stop the nausea and heartburn?

And did anyone else have an aversion to food.

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

elizjayjay
on 9/14/14 8:41 am
VSG on 05/27/14

This does not sound normal. I hope you have checked in with your doctor. After the first week, I was over the nausea. but I do remember that I had to take very small sips and go slow. Hope you feel better soon.

Gwen M.
on 9/14/14 9:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What does your surgeon say abut these problems you're having?  You might need to take a stronger/different PPI than what you're taking.  

How many ounces of liquids are you getting in every day?  Nausea is definitely a sign of dehydration regardless of the color of your urine.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wellzen
on 9/14/14 10:19 am

So sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Please give your doctor a call. Hope your feeling better soon. Please keep us updated.

Wellzen   VSG 9/8/14  SW 261 

greensleeved
on 9/14/14 10:53 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

You probably need a stronger antacid. I had to up my Prilosec from 20 to 40 mg post op. It made a world of difference. I wasn't really nauseated but had no desire for food,my stomach felt sour, and my throat burned. Double dose fixed all that.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

NLHRN
on 9/14/14 2:23 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

I had to start taking my Prevacid 2x/day after surgery

Best Wishes!! What did your Dr say at your 2 week check??

HW-410  Consult-380  SW-364.4 

1/12/15-310.2lbs

wyo_sarah
on 9/15/14 1:53 am

I'll be 7 weeks post op tomorrow and my first 5.5 weeks were very similar to what you are describing.  I was nauseated ALL the time, I threw up a lot, protein shakes still make me nauseated. I didn't have heartburn but I did start taking 2 of the chewable Pepcid, instead of just one.  I thought it might help the nausea.  I just kept slowly, slowly trying new foods until I found something that worked.  I struggled getting enough water and enough protein.  I was really weak too, I couldn't even stand for an entire shower.  I had to take a stool with me so I could sit down to wash my hair.  My doctor ordered a endoscopy to look for problems, but it couldn't be done until 6 weeks out.  I have an appointment for next Monday.  Luckily, however, I'm feeling much better now.  I'm not sure what made the difference, but I can tolerate more food, I don't throw up every day any more.  I would call your surgeon.  But keep your chin up.  It will get better. :)

syaohio
on 9/15/14 4:50 am
with

I did call this morning, and like you said they told me it was not unusual for some people to do this, something on the order of your hormones telling your brain "what the heck did you do?" I am able to drink water, but not much else, they are calling in a different heartburn med to see if it helps any. As long as there is no pain and no fever things will get better...your post is encouraging...plus that I have always been a gagger and if it doesn't look good, sound good, or smell good I can not eat it...they did suggest getting some kind of advanced pedialyte to keep my electrolytes, etc.

Ready to join in this thing called LIFE

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views