Empty Freezer -- Recipe Share!

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 12:58 am

My freezer is pretty empty.  I'm planning on cooking / prepping a bunch  this weekend.  I have some favorites that I'm planning on making, but would love to know some of your favorites.  The weather is getting cold and I think I should break out the slow cooker again.  I like to keep my freezer stocked so that I can have variety and easy healthy options.  I freeze things in portions of 1-3 -- muffin tins are great for this.  

This is what I am planning on making this weekend:

• korean bbq steak (marinade & freeze -- I grill these fresh when I'm ready to eat)
  • chicken cordon blue casserole
  • ham & broccoli crustless quiche
  • green beans
  • bacon brussel sprouts

I'll post the detailed recipes in a few & maybe some pics once they are done.

What are your favorites?  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Gwen M.
on 9/20/14 1:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My freezer is full to the brim with meat, so I can't stock it with prepared food.  But I will be roasting a flat of tomatoes from the farmers market and then pureeing them for delicious spaghetti sauce in the winter.  I hope to get those roasted tomorrow.  I also love the bacon and black bean chili for freezing - http://www.mangeratrois.net/index.php/recipes/soup/736-beef- chili-with-bacon-and-black-beans

For the tomatoes I just halve them, toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil, and then roast at 475 for about an hour.  (On a rack set over a baking sheet.  Cut side down so the juices can escape and dry out the tomatoes.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 4:36 am

oh the tomatoes sound great!  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

LosingSarah
on 9/20/14 3:12 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I am a freezing queen. Some of my favorite freezer meals or meal components are:

• Shredded Pork or Beef (pork is my preference, but if beef is on sale I get that sometimes) - I will buy two roasts to slow cook all day with salt, pepper, garlic, and a couple bay leaves. It just falls apart!  Then vacuum seal meal portions enough for my family and a couple smaller pkgs, too. I use it for multiple things. Most often I make a small salad topped with the meat, a bit of cheese, a chopped cherry tomato, and hot sauce.  I also will make tostadas by baking soft corn tortillas on a cookie sheet until crisp and top with the meat, cheese, and hot sauce. Sometime I also put a few black or pinto beans on either of those option. I also cut one of the tortillas in half before I bake them, because I only eat half of one.  
  • Chili - I make a meat heavy recipe made with ground chicken & lean beef. I only make this in the winter, too.
  • Beef Stew no taters - I just use carrots, celery, kohlrabi, onion, and mushrooms usually to cut the carbs & calorie count in the taters.

All of these things freeze really well, too. I freeze the stews/chili in glass pyrex containers or mason jars, and I freeze the meat and other solid things in food saver bags that I can press flat so they stack nicely.

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 4:37 am

the shredded meat sounds good!  Do you cook it in a slow cooker?  Do you add liquid?  

Beef stew will be great for the winter :)

I'm moving slowly, so still haven't started cooking -- killed it at the gym and now am TIRED!

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 7:20 am

Korean Steak BBQ -- this is so freaking good!  I just marinaded it.  I'll grill up some tomorrow for lunch all week and I threw one batch (.5 lbs in the freezer for later).  

recipe for 1 lbs of steak -- I separate it at the end into two servings (one for fridge, one for freezer).  

• 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 cup soy sauce (I used full sodium b/c I need salt)
  • 1 tbls ginger
  • 1/4 cup hoisen sauce
  • 1 tbls splenda
  • 1 lbs sirloin tips (or flank steak or whatever)

Mix it all up and marinade.  I like this grilled, but have cooked it on the stove when my grill igniter thing broke.  yum!  It actually warms up well in the microwave so is a decent option to bring to work.  

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 7:23 am, edited 9/20/14 7:24 am

Green Beans -- inspired by Gwen's recipe: green beans and pork

ingredients:

• 3 cloves garlic diced
  • 2 onions diced
  • 1.5 lbs green beans
  • 4 tbls soy sauce
  • 4 tbls water
  • 2 tbls sherry
  • 1 tsp splenda
  • crushed red pepper
  • dry mustard
  • black pepper

saute garlic & onions ~ 2 mins

add green beans ~5 mins

add sauce ~3 mins more

I leave these a bit under cooked b/c I heat them up in the microwave for work.  

I don't freeze this recipe, but it might work fine.  

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 7:32 am

chicken cordon blue casserole:

• 4 cloves garlic diced
  • 2 onions diced
  • 12 oz diced ham
  • 2 chicken breast poached & chopped up
  • 2/3 cup frozen peas
  • 1 progresso creamy garlic recipe starter
  • 3 slices light swiss cheese diced

1) saute onions, garlic & ham over medium -- ~10 mins

2) mix frozen peas, chopped chicken, progresso sauce, and onion, garlic, ham mixture together

3) pam muffin pan

4) spoon in mixture into muffin tin

5) top w/ swiss cheese

6) bake ~20mins at 350 -- this will not be completely done.  Up to 400 for last 10 mins or so to brown top.  I like to pull out at 20 mins, stick in the freezer.  Once they set I pull out what I want unfrozen (I often store in ramekins for easy heat up) and put the rest in a freezer bag.  Then you can easily pull out one serving at a time :)

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 7:35 am

bacon brussel sprouts (I'm obsessed w/ these)

• 1.5 lbs brussel sprouts cut up well
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 onions diced
  • 4 slices bacon diced

1) prep 2 pans w/ pam

2) put ingredients on pan (I always go brussel sprouts, then onions, then garlic, then bacon)

3) bake at 350 for 20 mins -- mix everything up, then another 20 mins.  This will leave them ALMOST done.  I like to leave them like this b/c I bake them up in my toaster before eating them so they are crispy.  I also add salt right before eating them.  

I do not freeze this recipe, but you might be able to.

Stacy_WLS
on 9/20/14 7:36 am

I ran out of swiss cheese, so the quiches will have to wait.

this is what I got :)  (6 of those little green bean thingys -- I am portioning them out for lunches.

Most Active