HELP - Upper GI shows no signs of Barriatric Surgery-Stomach normal size after 1 year 2...

Mommydoo
on 9/22/14 12:41 am - OR

I recently had several tests done (colonoscopy, stomach scope, upper GI)  due to pain episodes on the right side of my chest - behind my ribs....  Anyway, the upper GI was done 2 weeks ago and I was able to watch part of it.  I asked the doctor doing it - is that my stomach - because it looked normal, not like a sleeve.  He said yes and I told him about the surgery.  He didn't realize I had sleeve surgery because there was no evidence of it. 

This is what he wrote in the report - The size
of the stomach appears relatively normal with no indication of previous
bariatric surgery.....2.  The size of the stomach appears normal. The patient reportedly has had
previous bariatric surgery with no radiographic evidence of this.

What should I do?  I have struggled with weighloss this entire year - I have completed a fitness program, done ZUmba, pillates and Barre 3 times a week (once each) in addition to regular workouts until May.  Then the workouts lessened but still - I had surgery and have worked out most of the year - tons!! and Walking and now they tell me this and it all make sense.  I have only lost 44 pounds since surgery July 17, 2013 but I lost 28 prior to surgery.

I called my surgeon for the results because my appt. isn't until 9th of October - the PA called me back and didn't even mention the stomach.  I asked and he pulled the record, he just told me he doesn't know how to read x-rays and I would have to wait for the doctor.   ***I am not a doctor but I could see the screen during my upper GI and tell you that was not a sleeve!!!  And then I asked the questions. 

Again, please give me your advise - what would you say or do.  Should they cover it to redo/revision?  Should I request a revision?  Should I go to another clinic?

Did I do this?  With strenuous exercise or the few times I over ate - not many, but I did have a few episodes over the year and two months.  But if that, why doesn't it show any signs?  Did they not cut and remove the stomach?

HELP!  Advise!?

Thank you so much for reading this and helping me. 

Kimberly

aleelee80
on 9/22/14 1:09 am - CO

I just had a CT scan last week and I recieved similar results. My CT report says that my stomach is without a fundus but of reletively normal size and I am currently 10 months out. I have been very sucessful with my weightloss thus far (~ 147# down since surgery) but it concerns me. I have always thought that my restriction was lacking but have tried to make the best of it and have religously followed the rules but I wonder what kind of an impact this will have on my future ability to avoid re-gain. I am interested to hear how others may approach their surgeons with this information too.

Mommydoo
on 9/22/14 1:24 am - OR

Must just be my fault then. They also have me a meds because my REE showed a slow metabolism.  Something funny going on here:)  Oh well, I guess I tried and just not meant to be skinny:)  Thanks for the information, it helps to know.

Highest Weight: 308  Pre-Op Weight: 268 ~ Surgery 7/17/13         

ReclaimingPaula
on 9/22/14 1:48 am
VSG on 01/28/14

This doesn't make sense to me at all.  I would definitely go back to the surgeon who performed your surgery and ask these questions.  I would also get a second opinion from another reputable surgeon as to how/if this would happen and what can be done about it.

Surgery 01/28/2014. HW: 310. Consult 290, Surgery 270.  CW = 150   

Sammy D.
on 9/22/14 1:59 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

These definitely sound like botched surgeries to me, at the very least half done surgeries. I would definitely confront the surgeons, but would not ask too much. I would then consult another reputable surgeon for his/her professional opinion, you may want to go to another town or out of state to get a true unbiased opinion (surgeons may know each other). If it is confirmed no actual surgery was done, or was half done, I would consult with a lawyer for malpractice (once again you may want to get a lawyer from out of state to ensure a true client relationship and no connections to the surgeon or hospital).

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Sammy D.
on 9/22/14 2:01 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

If confirmed, I would also be sure everyone on OH and other forums know who his surgeon is, and to steer clear of them.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

Bufflehead
on 9/22/14 2:04 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

"no radiographic evidence" -- that means no staples are showing up, correct? So that sounds to me like the sleeve wasn't even done at all. I would definitely get another opinion as to your diagnosis and options from a different surgeon if you don't even have any staples -- and even if you do.

Sammy D.
on 9/22/14 2:07 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Agree, the staple line at the very least should be showing up.

NolaLola
on 9/22/14 2:23 am

I would call the office where you got your surgery and request all your records before you bring this up. I would wait to get those record before confronting them. That is just my opinion.

RNY 8-19-14 HW-356 CW 308

Sammy D.
on 9/22/14 2:31 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Definitely get the records before you confront the doctor! Sorry I neglected to mention it. I would get the records first to prevent them from being altered, and then confront the doctor using both records side by side.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views