Weaning Off PPIs

Spencerella
on 9/24/14 1:58 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I had acid reflux for years before surgery. I successfully managed the symptoms with a daily dose of 30 mg of Prevacid. Despite numerous attempts, I was never able to wean myself off them.

Rightly or wrongly,  I still chose VSG because my symptoms were well controlled and I did not think the other wls options were as appropriate for me. As expected, the reflux got worse after surgery, so I moved to a twice daily regime of 30 mg Prevacid. Again, my symptoms were very well controlled. About 18 months post op, I weaned back to one dose daily, but was not able to wean myself back beyond that.

A week ago, I started taking an herbal remedy named Iberogast. There is lots of information available online about this supplement, which has been available in Europe for many years.

Some gastroenterologists are recommending it as a replacement for PPI use.  I'm very pleased with the results so far.  In the past, I couldn't manage a single day without medication before choking back acid, so I'm really excited to have managed without Prevacid for an entire week. I understand it takes several weeks to get the full effect and that some people can eventually cut back the amount or even give it up completely over time. I hope to be one of those people.

I thought I'd pass the information along for those of you who might be interested in discussing this option with your doctor.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

acbbrown
on 9/24/14 3:34 am - Granada Hills, CA

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to get off my PPI!! I'll look into it :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Tracy D.
on 9/24/14 5:38 am, edited 9/24/14 5:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Linda - I'm excited to read about this option because I haven't been able to get off my 20 mg of Protonix.   Where did you purchase your herbal remedy?  

And...what dose are you taking each day? 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Spencerella
on 9/24/14 6:24 am, edited 9/24/14 6:25 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm in Canada, bought it at Shoppers Drug Mart and at a health food store. I suspect it's widely available in the US :)

I'm taking the recommended dose of 20 drops in a smidge of water three times daily right before meals. 

LINDA                 

TruemansMom
on 9/24/14 7:10 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I just found it on Amazon. Bummer for me is it is 31% alcohol. I just can't go there :(

Will have to rely on my surgeon's fix next week. cross fingers.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Spencerella
on 9/24/14 8:03 am, edited 9/24/14 9:04 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

The dosage is a very small amount if you see it in a teaspoon or at the bottom of a small drinking glass so 31% is actually very little. That's not to suggest that it's suitable for everyone though so it's something you should discuss with your doctor. 

Edit - I just measured a dosage and it was just a smidge over 1/4 teaspoon.   The alcohol content is 31% of that amount.  Taken 3 times daily. 

LINDA                 

Buff_chick
on 12/4/15 7:19 pm
VSG on 12/28/15

Thanks so much for this info!

Most Active