NEED HELP!

Connor0331
on 9/28/14 9:23 am

I am currently 7 months out and I am having a difficult time. I am having such a hard time with cravings and being tempted to eat things that I definitely should not be! Before my surgery I was 302 and currently I am 228. I know that I have lost a decent amount of weight, but I feel as though I have failed. I know everyone is different, but I get so down seeing how great other ppl have done and lost so much more than me, in the same amount of months as me. I always feel hungry all the time and that's when I start to get myself into trouble by eating stuff I shouldn't be. I just hope it is not to late to get back on track and lose more weight! 

Gwen M.
on 9/28/14 9:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's said time and time again that this surgery operates on our stomachs but not our brains.  Are you seeing a therapist?  It sounds like you're really struggling with the negative cycle of giving into cravings and then beating yourself up for failing when you do.  Which probably makes you more likely to give into cravings, etc, etc!  It can be a never-ending hate spiral.  

I highly recommend finding a therapist you click with to help you sort out the brain stuff.  You've lost 80ish pounds, so you clearly know what to do for the eating side of things!  It's just getting your mind in gear too :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 9/28/14 11:06 am

What Gwen said. Stop eating slider foods right now. Stop eating your trigger foods. They are totally not worth it. Practice the 3 D's- delay, distract and now I totally forget the last one... hopefully someone will chime in. A big one for me is distract- find something to do instead of eat. I can vouch that you can lose past the 6 month honeymoon period, just tighten up your plan. I always, always do better when I incorporate protein shakes back in so something to consider if you dropped those. 

Good luck, and do not give up!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Ihearttennis
on 9/28/14 11:06 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I know its hard but try not to compare your journey to anyone else's. You are doing great, so focus on the positive. If you feel you are losing slow just think of it as an opportunity to firmly ingrain your new eating habits which will benefit you in the long run.  I also recommend taking measurements; sometimes when the scale isn't  moving you are dropping inches.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

G5x5
on 9/28/14 11:14 am - VA

The answer is simpler than you think but rests in understanding what happened to us.

Go to YouTube and search for "Tim Noakes" and watch the video with "Medical Aspects of ......" in the title.  It's 43 minutes and explains nearly everything that is causing your problem.  Perhaps the one thing it misses is how your cravings are being driven by what he explains.  It's basically implied and he assumes you know it already.  You may have to scroll down a bit to find this particular video because it's not the first that pops up.

From there if you want to see the formula calories in vs calories out totally debunked, search for Gary Taubes and watch the 1:10 minute video from SCTV.  And if you're really interested, track down the Robert Lustig video on "Sugar: The bitter truth".

Those three videos can reorient your thinking, and free you from obesity forever, if you embrace what you learn there, and adjust your food plan accordingly.  Honestly, from what Gary Taubes shows, by virtue of having been obese at some point, every other process will likely fail eventually because the problem that made us obese isn't solved unless you change the food pattern.  Those are my words, not his, extrapolated to a conclusion based on the science shown.

Good luck.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Connor0331
on 9/28/14 6:56 pm

Thank you everyone for your great advice! I appreciate it 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views