Don't stop reading OH- You never know when a post will change your entire mindset.

happyteacher
on 9/28/14 11:01 am

I have been kicking around  OH for a few years now. My history began in a dark place where I had given up on losing weight, my finding OH as I started the process of determing which surgery would fit best, my subsequent 8 months post op until I hit goal, my easy maintenance, the beginning of my slide, and a post that changed my entire mindset exactly at the moment I needed to read it most. 

Karik posted this about regain and how hindsight is 20/20. I thought when i would go to open it that I would find a reflection about going back to basics- and idea that I was already profoundly familiar with... but hey, it was Karik and it is always worth your time to read his posts and his perspectives. He outlined his anectodatal stages he noticed during his maintenance that led him to a 20 pound regain and struggle with takng it off. I read this at a time where I had put on a few pounds albeit still under goal weight, but this time it didn't just melt off and I was starting to realize that my poor eating habits had taken root enough that I was at serious risk of substantial regain. But that was not enough to change my mindset for some reason.

His post was though. When he documented the stages I could completley relate as he described my progression almost like he was living in my home and observing me during the last several months. When he wrote about how he would put a few pounds on, but easily take them off.... repeat, repeat, repeat he had me. That was exactly my mindset- don't sweat a few pounds here and there because I could always take them off so easily. But then the regain cycles became closer and closer together, and this last one didn't just melt off. 

When I read his post describing his stages, and his warning of how a little further along the progression from where I was things were again reverting back to the darkness we experienced prior to surgery it finally clicked. I had seen others post their difficulties about regain  even though in their posts they routinely are at or undeer goal, but a few seemed to wear it like a badge of honor that maintaining was terribly difficult so it never really connected with me. This post by Karik did thought, and just in time. 

I have taken a few pounds off and this morning hit the top end of my comfort zone. More importantly though I realized how I needed to just be done with justifying crap choices and flirting with the slippery slope of carb related cravings. Once my A1c levels rose again to prediabetic levels it became brutally difficult to eat just some bad carbs without it absolutely triggering terrible cravings, and also a related sluggishness in dropping the weight that I had not experienced previously in maintenance. By drinking only proten shakes up until dinner and then only eating protein with a side of veggies within a few days the cravings finally subsided, my restriction was back in full force, and the constant cravings/thinking about when or what I would eat next stopped. I was shocked yesterday when I realized I forgot to eat for an extended period of time.... it has been a looooong time since that has happened. No idea why I am blessed to be able to just drink shakes and do one meal without it feeling like I am being deprived, but I am grateful that it makes it a way to not really have to plan ahead and the simplicity of it. My life is pretty chaotic right now so the simplicity and feeling better is much needed. 

I am not better, and my cleaned up eating habits are gong to have to last longer this time for me to be able to say I have reversed being at stage three and worked my way back down that scale. But the difference in the mindset is critical, as I finally let go of justifying persistently bad choices (even if I am under the daiily caloric goal).

I think so many people struggle or just simply drift away from reading posts or participating in the community here. I urge you to continue, even if you feel like you have read essentially the same content in a thousand similar posts and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of new "aha" moments anymore. You just never know when a post can really change your outlook. 

Thank you again Karik for taking the time for such a thoughtgful post. 

Peace-

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

trinoc
on 9/28/14 11:11 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

So glad you kept reading, found something that clicked, and shared with us. Kairk' s posts are always great.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

feels_so_good
on 9/28/14 12:35 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

That is my plan. I can be a little hard headed and know hearing the same thing said a had differently can make something click.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Miss150
on 9/28/14 9:39 pm

Hey, there, Happy!  Sounds like you're moving into a good space again, and gaining peace with self and food.  My thing right now is not how much or what I am eating...it's how (grazing a bit every time I go into the kitchen) and why (mindlessly) I'm eating that I'm dealing with.  A slippery slope, indeed.  As if it dosen't matter if the scale stays the same---but it does matter.  I'm not posting a lot---mostly on the maintenance board, but agree that sticking 'round the forum is "good practices".  Take care, sweetie.  Bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Atlanta_Forever
on 9/28/14 9:57 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

Thanks for this message!

I needed a little "heads up" to refocus.

Have a great week.

fran67
on 9/28/14 10:28 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12

I still sign on everyday just for that reason.  His post really hit the spot as I'm fighting regain myself.   

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/28/14 10:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's always worth reading your posts too, happyteacher.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 9/29/14 1:08 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active