Why I was sleeved in my 60's-

Nmmsg
on 9/30/14 12:30 am
VSG on 07/09/13

I thougth I would re-exam my goals when I started this process.

1- I went to Paris in the spring of 2013. My sweet husband took me to Cartier's for a ring to remember the trip.  The staff was so kind to us and allowed us to take a picture at their famous staircase.  Omg- I am fat, old lady.  When did that happen?   I came back from that trip determined to take care of what I could- the fat me.

2-  I had a cousin diagnosed with breast cancer who is 10 years younger than me.  Besides the cancer, she had a stroke during her surgery and has had a really tough recovery. She is quite heavy and I am sure that played a role in this tough situation.  She is a second cousin.  All of my first cousins have died except one.  This is not good genetic odds.  My sister and brother both died from Melanoma at young ages- 33 & 49.  

3- It was just to hard to keep starting another diet. I needed to do something more than one more diet day.

This year:

1- I reached goal and lower than my doctor's expectations.  This weight is about the same as my lowest adult weight at 32 years old.

2- I have had several foot surgeries in my adult life and they don't hurt at all.

3- I feel good.  I am only on a small dose of medication for blood pressure- all other meds are gone.

4- I left my job of 23 years and started my own business at 64 in a different industry.  It has been a good change.

5- I never feel like I don't want to go somewhere because of how I look.

6-  My son got divorced- sad when that happens to anyone .  It followed a flurry of his seizures due to his epilepsy.  He lives with us right now and our bonus is we get our grandson 8 days a month since my son does not drive him yet

Lifeis good & I am grateful to have my health and my wonderful family, husband, daughter, son, grandson and 4 dogs.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Dawn ..
on 9/30/14 12:42 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Hi, I LOVED reading this! You have had some heartache and tragedy, but things are really looking bright for you now and you seem to be doing outstanding!

I turned 50 in August. Kids have moved out of state, have been divorced since 1997, struggling financially, yadda yadda... but you truly give me inspiration and affirmation that I got sleeved for me, to not only boost my health, but to also make some other needed life changes. I wouldn't mind meeting a decent guy and I think that now with the sleeve and therapy, I may be getting to a place where this may happen. I work full time but have been tinkering with web design on the side for years. Maybe with these other life changes, everything else will fall into place.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Spencerella
on 9/30/14 1:41 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

All great reasons, many of which I relate to. I was 56 when I had the surgery. I never gave up my lifelong fight to conquer obesity, and VSG was my last step. So glad I had the courage to take it.  

On the morning of my most recent birthday, my husband took a long look at me as I prepared for the day. He said "you look fantastic" and I replied "honey, this is what 58 looks like".  I swaggered off to tackle the day. Reason enough for surgery at this age? Yes. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Nmmsg
on 9/30/14 6:10 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Your husband sounds like mine- so glad to have the positive vibes.  Thanks, Linda!

Kim N.
on 9/30/14 1:51 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Hi Girls....I am 62 and just finishing all of my pre-op testing.  Reading all of your posts has just affirmed that I am totally making the right decision.  My best to all of you!!!!

BorderCollieMama

Nmmsg
on 9/30/14 6:16 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Good luck to you- just keep moving forward.  It is worth it.

Nancy

Daelcare
on 9/30/14 1:54 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Thanks for the encouragement!!  Thanks for the info on the foot surgery, too!  I have had two surgeries and now my feet really hurt...I can't help but believe that with 70 pounds off of them, they'll be a lot better!  So glad that things have worked out so well for you...you are an inspiration!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Nmmsg
on 9/30/14 6:17 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Thanks- my feet don't hurt anymore.  They are not pretty but they work well!

Tracy D.
on 9/30/14 1:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You are a shining example that all of us can have 2nd Acts and even 3rd Acts in our life.  We can make changes at any point in time and start living the life we were meant to.  

I am sorry for all the loss you've experienced in your family   You do seem to focus on the positive things.  Congrats on all your success!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Nmmsg
on 9/30/14 6:02 am, edited 9/30/14 6:18 am
VSG on 07/09/13

Thanks, Tracy.  I only do what I was taught by my parents which is to be grateful for each day.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views