Question about goal weight

Hagar
on 10/19/14 1:43 pm - Egypt

Hi everyone..

my doctor once told me that not everyone will be able to reach his goal weight, and that after surgery I'll lose about 25% of my weight, and the rest i could lose by my effort, dieting and exercising...

today I heard another doctor on tv he mentioned that he never accepts it losing the WHOLE excess weight and reach the goal weight.. I don't know what he actually do to let his patients reach their goal.. 

My surgery is scheduled next week (Friday or saturday) and I really like my doctor so I'm not thinking about seeing another, but I'm just wondering how many of u was able to reach his goal weight and how? And how long did it take since surgery?

thank u 

Quanita L.
on 10/19/14 3:31 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hello
I think what is meant by that is that if we did absolutely nothing - just ate less because of the smaller pouch, then the best you can expect is to lose a certain percentage.  I think if you read any of the descriptions of the surgery it says 25-70% of excess weight.

Most people eat less calories and more health calories when they are post surgery - For example - you could eat say a half a cup of spaghetti bolognaise with full fat mince, pasta and shop sauce with sugar in it, and sprinkle it with full fat cheese.  What people tend to do is do that and they have a pasta alternative (you get some made out of vegetables that is very low in calories), low fat mince meat, low fat cheese and home made sauce with no extra sugars

If you want to lose all the weight then you need to follow a very strict plan and make sure that you have learned all the behaviours you need to keep the weight off.

So count your calories
Chose the healthiest foods (even though you have restriction)
Find an exercise that you like and keep doing it

When you start to lose the amount of restriction you have (your sleeve is healed and you can eat a little more)
you have to keep doing this, eating healthy, counting your calories, exercising

I think the surgeon who has better expectations from patients, probably has them following a very strict set of rules for life after surgery.

If you don't change everything about the way you eat and exercise, then you don't lose all your weight and you start to regain the weight as well.

It's not about how good the surgeon is, it is about how good you are at learning to live like a thin person does after surgery.

I hope that makes sense.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

WLStruggles
on 10/19/14 4:55 pm

I'm pre-op so I have no "real life" experience but I have met with my surgeon and she "guessed" I would lost about 50 of the 75 lbs I hoped to lose.  I think this number was given with the expectation I would follow the post-op advice.  She told me I would have to commit to doing 30-45 min of exercise 6 days a week and eat like they teach you to eat.  She emphasized that weight loss is not "a given" it's still something I will have to work for.   When I expressed that I really wanted to get closer to the 75 lb loss, she just said it was possible, but that it would be a higher than average weight loss.  I think the more you lose, and the more time that passes, that harder it will be…… at least for me.  I have a lousy metabolism and doubt that will change.  I doubt I will get to the weight I was in my 20's but it would be nice to get to my 30/40 year old weight.  Time will tell.  I have no problem exercising as long as it isn't extreme.  When I try to go at it "gung-ho" I always get injured and the set backs bring weight gain.  I would prefer to be a "slow and steady" exerciser…..  Good Luck! 

cappy11448
on 10/19/14 6:20 pm

I reached my goal weight at 14 months post surgery, 17 months from starting the process.  My goal was to be no longer obese - mid-range overweight - so it wasn't a stringent goal.  After reaching this goal I went on to lose another 20 pounds and I now have a normal BMI. 

I didn't struggle to do it.  I did commit to following the program.  I figured if I was going to do something as radical as cut out more than half my stomach, I darn-well was going to follow the program.  I limited myself to three meals a day with 3 to 4 ounces of protein per meal and filling up on low-carb veggies.  I kept my carbs very low because I know carbs cause food-cravings for me.  I exercised, even though I was very adverse to exercise. 

Also, when I went into maintenance, I treated it as a change in my plan, not being done with the plan.  So I still weigh and measure my food, log it daily in my fitness pal, limit my carbs and exercise.   I just allow more calories now.

I was very determined, but I was also very determined before the WLS, when I got to a weight of 385 pounds!  The weight loss surgery changed my body in a way that allowed me to succeed.  It just was not possible before the surgery, and it was possible after the surgery. 

From my experience, if you are determined, and you stick to your plan, you can lose all the weight you want. 

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey.  I think you will be delighted.  Did I mention?  I love my sleeve!

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Hagar
on 10/20/14 6:13 am - Egypt

Thank you so much :) and glad you are loving it :D I understand that the surgery is just a tool, I'm just afraid to get back to my body resisting losing any weight as i am right now, so not be able to reach my goal weight..

Nmmsg
on 10/19/14 8:45 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

I agree with Carol.  Follow your plan and you can lose what you need to lose.  My doctor's initial goal for me was 150 lbs.  I kept following my plan and went to my goal of 135.  I still think I would like to lose another 5lbs.  We'll see. Age is not a hindrance. I was in my 60's when sleeved.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

SATXVSG
on 10/19/14 11:48 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

My surgeon predicted I could get to 220 with diet and exercise.  I thnk that  # is about 70% of EWL.  I have set a goal of 190.  Once I reach that, I will evaluate where I am and see if I can go lower.  Normal BMI for me is about 160.  I don't think that is realistic at this point but we will see. 

If my weight loss stays on track, I should reach 220 by Jan 1 and 190 by next summer.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

TheNewT
on 10/20/14 12:38 am
VSG on 08/04/14

At 255 lbs and standing 5'3" my surgeon looked at me and said, "There is no reason you can't lose all of your excess weight". I love him for that. He said if I stayed true to the process I can get to his goal of 140. I am within 59 pounds of his goal and 64 of mine. I can see a faint light at the end of a tunnel that started at 115 lbs to lose.

Tracy D.
on 10/20/14 2:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You can absolutely lose 100% of your excess body weight as long as you are committed to your eating plan and consistent.  Meaning that there are no "cheat" days with this.  I got to goal weight within 7 months - you can see my stats in my signature line.  

How did I do it?  Sticking to an 800 calorie a day plan, with 80 grams of protein a day, under 40 grams of carb, 100 oz. of water, and 4-5 days of light/moderate exercise.   You'll have to work up to those numbers because you won't come close immediately post-op.  But it's a plan that plenty of people on here followed and had great success with - Carol being one of those people.  

Good luck to you! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Hagar
on 10/20/14 6:09 am - Egypt

Thank u so much! such an inspiration!! I Undertsand that the surgery is just a tool that will help u lose weight, but it's all about YOU changing ur lifestyle.. i was just worried coz my body was very resistant to losing any weight although dieting and exercising, and thats why i chose to have VSG.. 

I'm really inspired by u, and i'll do my best following this plan gradually after the surgery..

Thank you :)

Most Active