Your Choice.

Lost1
on 10/21/14 8:26 am

Hi there, 

I am sure everyone of you that made this choice had a reason. Maybe your doctor choose, maybe you did.. I want to know why you chose the Sleeve over Gastric Bypass. 

My doctor won't make the choice for me.. I have asked what his medical opinion is and he just shakes his head and states that it's up to me. He thinks I am bordering both procedures. 

I need to make up my mind before it's submitted to insurance. They're waiting for me now. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you! 

jenn1469
on 10/21/14 8:39 am

I would say it depends on  how much you need to lose

Jennifer

Lost1
on 10/21/14 8:42 am, edited 10/21/14 8:56 am

My goal weight is 130 so 100 lbs is needed to lost. But, I am diabetic. Which is what puts me on the edge of both surgeries. 

MsBatt
on 10/22/14 8:56 am

There is a third choice you should also research, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. Of all the forms of WLS currently available, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats PLUS the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol.

Only YOU can decide which form of WLS is most likely to give you a post-op lifestyle that you can live happily with for the rest of your life. Research them all, and chose the one that's the best fit for you.

Lost1
on 10/22/14 8:59 am
On October 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:

There is a third choice you should also research, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. Of all the forms of WLS currently available, the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats PLUS the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol.

Only YOU can decide which form of WLS is most likely to give you a post-op lifestyle that you can live happily with for the rest of your life. Research them all, and chose the one that's the best fit for you.

Thank you MsBatt, 

I just found out my surgeon does the DS. I didn't know until about an hour ago, I posted a topic on the DS forum. I am considering that procedure. 

Spanky123
on 10/21/14 8:46 am

I am schedule for surgery in December, I  choose the sleeve b/c it still leaves the "basic Function" in place, everything still works the same, just on a smaller scale. I don't want any malabsorption issues.

susan88
on 10/21/14 9:26 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I'm with Spanky. I had 90 - 100 to loose and I didn't want the malabsorption issues.  I liked the concept of the sleeve.  Long term after I hit my goal I felt that the sleeve was the better choice for my situation. It is a personal decision though.  Did your Dr. give you pros and cons of each?

Lost1
on 10/21/14 9:32 am
On October 21, 2014 at 4:26 PM Pacific Time, susan88 wrote:

I'm with Spanky. I had 90 - 100 to loose and I didn't want the malabsorption issues.  I liked the concept of the sleeve.  Long term after I hit my goal I felt that the sleeve was the better choice for my situation. It is a personal decision though.  Did your Dr. give you pros and cons of each?

He did. Which is why I am so torn. This is life changing.. I am trying to respect that. There is no turning back for me. I only have one shot with my insurance. 

TeressaJ
on 10/21/14 9:29 am

I chose the sleeve for pretty much the same reason as Spanky123, eating is simply on a smaller scale but also I didn't want to have an option to have it reversed. My mom had a gastric bypass and a year later had it reversed and gained most of her weight back. I didn't want that option. I am super happy with my choice.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/21/14 9:48 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm diabetic but I chose the sleeve over the gastric bypass because I didn't want my intestines re routed. The stats for the rny & the sleeve at the 2yr mark is about the same, so while I might have lost weight faster with the rny, in the long run the stats between the 2 surgeries wasn't worth me having to live with vitamin deficiency for life, plus the malabsorption of calories will only last for a short time. I wasn't crazy about having a remnant stomach that couldn't be scoped if there ever was a problem in the future. I also didn't like that the hunger hormones would still be there in the remnant stomach, with the vsg most of those hormones goes away when they cut out part of the stomach.

I also have more than 100lbs to lose, but it is possible to lose that & more with the vsg. I'm already on a lower dose of diabetes medication & eventually hope to be off of it altogether. Really it was the vitamin deficiency for life that steered me away from the malabsorption wls.

Your doctor can't choose for you, the wls that works for you will be the one you can live with. Weigh the pro's and cons of each based on what your life will be like rather than the opinions of what people here say what their life is. When you personally know what you're willing to put up with,& dedicate to, the choice of surgery will be apparent, hopefully. Good luck in whatever you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views