How long to come back to normal

Aime-kay
on 10/23/14 9:57 pm

hey ppl. :) hope you are all doing great. Your stories are so inspiring. I love how you guys have achieved your goals :) 

I am 26 yrs old with a bmi of 36. Planing for VSG. But I am a medical student with tough schedule and important exams in coming months. Can you please tell me how long does it take after surgery to come back to normal routine and start doing the stuff we used to do before surgery? Like how long will it take me to resume my studies. Will the lack of carbs and glucose affect my brain to concentrate on my studies? I want honest answers please. I hope you guys are going to help me :)

Bufflehead
on 10/23/14 10:09 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I needed about two weeks to get back to work. For the first week or so I wasn't as mentally sharp as I might have been otherwise, I think due to narcotic painkillers and the after effects of general anesthesia, not lack of glucose or carbs.

alwayz_smilin2587
on 10/23/14 10:17 pm - MO
VSG on 04/16/12

Hi! Congratulations on this journey you are about to take! It really is wonderful. 

It honestly depends on the person. I'd say within about 8-10 days I felt fine and the soreness was pretty much gone for the most part. I was lucky enough to get medical leave from work and actually took 6 weeks off. I did this for the psychological/emotional side of things. I do not believe it's necessary- I was just fortunate to have the option so I did it. During that time I spent a lot of time focusing on my feelings and saw a therapist. I actually loved it. 

However, if you have testing and things coming up, I'd say 2 weeks should be enough time.

jenn1469
on 10/23/14 10:48 pm

I don't work but day after surgery when i was discharged i walked Vegas Strip all week just had to take breaks because i would get tired

Good for you being in med school my daughter is too at university az

Jennifer

Aime-kay
on 10/23/14 11:11 pm, edited 10/23/14 11:11 pm

Thanks for replying guys :) being in med school puts me under a lot of pressure in terms of studies and stuff. Just wanted to make sure that VSG doesn't interfere with the brain tasks. Even if it takes around two weeks, i still think that weight loss achievement would be much bigger that that hopefuly :)

MaggieDoodle
on 10/23/14 11:12 pm
VSG on 09/08/14

I went back to work after two weeks. I was draggy for the first few days, but able to do the job. At four weeks, I went on a trip to Disney World. I thought I would need to skip a lot of things, but a loss of just 25 lbs. caused such a significant improvement in my knee pain, that I walked all over the place (about 20,000 steps per day).

Aime-kay
on 10/24/14 12:23 am

Sounds amazing MaggieDoodle. Good luck for future too! Wish me luck. I am a lil nervous. Lol

BurberryPlaid
on 10/24/14 12:13 am, edited 10/24/14 12:15 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

I think you'll feel pretty normal at 2-3 weeks at most. You might have some uncomfortableness at times but I really felt like I could have gone back to work around then (I'm going back at 4 weeks on Monday - I had the time to use so I did) You might find you can get back to studying after a week even!

I thought the lack of carbs & lower calorie intake would affect my energy but I feel great 95% of the time. When I feel/felt weak it quickly passed. Listen to your body & you'll be fine. 

Good luck! 

- Steph Consult W 311 / SW 293 / Current W 267/ GW 165-160 HT: 5'9"

Valerie G.
on 10/24/14 12:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was a very cheap date to the anesthesia and was in a fog for a good 5-6 weeks..extremely listless in an otherwise perfect recovery.  Fortunately, I took 8 weeks because my job is an active one.  See if you can plan your surgery around summer break, and really PLAN on taking one.  There will be no over-achieving this summer and you will do fine by fall term.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 10/24/14 2:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was back to work within a week but was still pretty tired that second week.  I'd say plan on taking things a little slower for a couple weeks but after that you should be fine.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views