Anyone out there have this issue? I may have scar tissue from a Spleenectomy I had when I...

monica37
on 11/6/14 5:59 am - Chicago, IL

Therefore, my surgeon said that he might have to open me up and not do it laproscopically.  This is making me a little hesitant.. Just wondering if anyone has had  a similar experience.  

MsR_and_B
on 11/6/14 8:59 am
VSG on 01/14/15

My surgeon did advise me of any issues in my upper stomach area on the surface would result in him needing to take a different route surgically. He stated that scar tissue makes it harder to operate in that area.

Quanita L.
on 11/6/14 9:39 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi, I never had any abdominal surgery before my 1st sleeve and my surgery as 1hr30min longer than expected because I have adhesions - which is wear your organs are connected by scar tissue to each other so the doctor has to disconnect any of that to be able to get to your tummy, and this is not always possible if you are working laparascopically.

any previous abdominal surgery greatly increases the potential of having much more scar tissue and adhesions (I have no idea how I got mine).  So because I had them to start with and then I had my first sleeve done it's almost inevitable I will have more this time round.

I know a lot of women who have had caesarian deliveries can have the same issues.

You need to decide if you want to say yes to open surgery if it is too difficult to do your sleeve laparascopically, but I do think you should have also been given the option to say that you would prefer to not have the sleeve done if it can not be achieved laparascopically.

Are you concerned about a scar from open surgery or just the extra recovery time and risks?

maybe if you do a search on here for open surgery there might be some more information?
If mine has to be done open to be done properly, then I would rather it be open, than they couldn't do it correctly so did what they could laparascopically.  And for me it is definitely more important to me to have the surgery so I would say yes.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

vmcbean
on 11/6/14 1:50 pm, edited 11/6/14 1:51 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

I have massive scar tissue from a childhood surgery. A doctor who wasn't very skilled at a local hospital tried lap surgery in early 2013 and poked me in my lung and spent the rest of the time re-inflating my lung.  They didn't even do the vsg. They didn't even attempt open in that situation.

This time around for this Nov 25 - I found an experienced doctor to do open surgery who will remove many adhesions, do vsg (if possible), repair hernias plus operate in tandem with a reconstructive plastics doc who will remove the large 17"x3" scar that is pressing in on my abdomen like a tight girdle.

An open surgery with massive adhesions will take a long time. It took 6 hours open surgery just to get my gallbladder out in 2008 due to excessive scar tissue.  I am the only surgery scheduled for Nov 25.

I hope that all goes well and I get relief from my abdominal discomfort plus get down to a healthier weight in the process!

Valerie G.
on 11/6/14 9:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Open surgery isn't that big of a deal.  Your mobility is a little different at first, but the outside incision is healed in 2 weeks and you're like everyone else.  The scar is the least of your worries, for the loose skin will prevent the desire to bare the midriff more than the scar.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views