Your thoughts on daily protein/calorie consumption

xcherryblossomx
on 11/6/14 7:10 pm - British Columbia, Canada
VSG on 04/18/14 with

November 18th I will be 7 months post-op. My average day consists of working out 1 – 3 ½ hours. Often 2 hour walks in the evening and some cardio/weight training.

I've used the search feature on here to get an idea of how many calories and how much protein other VSG-ers are getting in on a daily basis at different points post-op. I am still left with a couple questions and was hoping you guys could help me out !

- How many calories and how much protein do you think you were getting in at this stage post-op?

- In your opinion, do you think I should be getting in more than say 800 calories a day and 80g protein with the amount I workout?

Thanks in advance for your replies. TGIF!

G5x5
on 11/6/14 8:06 pm - VA

You need 1-1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal weight.  At 150 pounds that's around 60-100 grams.  Any more than that will translate to fat over time.

After that, turn the old food pyramid upside down and focus on healthy fats and elimination of sugars and grains.   Get your carbs from the low glycemic sources and eat all you want.

If you do that, calories don't really matter anymore and you'll never have to count them.

For more info:  Go to youtube and google Gary Taubes and watch one of his hour long presentations.  It will explain everything about how we got fat and what you should do about it.  All the material applies just as much for VSGers as anyone else.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Gwen M.
on 11/6/14 8:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

We're at similar places. I'm 8 months out and get about 14 hours of exercise a week. My plan emphasizes protein and portion control. 

I eat 3 meals a day. One is a shake and the other two are about 4 ounces of primarily protein. Sometimes I get an ounce of veg in, depending on what the other food is. I avoid refined/processed carbs and liquid calories aside from my breakfast shake. I get between 60-80 grams of protein a day. 

I don't count calories and I don't increase my food intake on days I exercise. (With the exception of race day, when I ate 3 bananas. Heh.)  I do add an extra meal on Thursdays, because it's my long day and I wouldn't have the energy to make it through until bedtime otherwise. So I have a second protein shake around 7pm on that day.

I hope this helps!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

frisco
on 11/7/14 12:44 am, edited 11/7/14 12:59 am

I think your doing GREAT !!!

Keep doing what your doing..... stay consistent.....don't let people confuse you.

"eat all you want"...... is not a great strategy.

"not counting calories"....... is not a great strategy.

"eating more the further out you get"...... is not a great strategy.

If your asking if you should "eat back some calories"....... not unless you are into an "extreme athlete" level. At that point you should be working with an RD/NUT that specializes in that.

Lose the weight first, maintenance is when you can get experimental and find your balances and tolerances.

Keep the path !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Zee Starrlite
on 11/7/14 5:12 am

You're a wise one Frisco and why I have always had my eye on you.  Thank you for always sharing the really good goods !!!  You know your stuff and I have always appreciated you being and staying here.

All Best, 

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

ElizaM
on 11/7/14 10:36 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Are you responding to G5x5? I can't tell sometimes, but if you are, you should read again.

Think about it. If you are eating 80g of protein, very low carbs, the only thing left that will increase your caloric intake is fat. And just try to overeat fat. I dare you. Sit down with a mug of olive oil, spoon mayo out of the jar. Revolting, right? And this from a girl who puts butter on her steak.

I believe strongly in tracking my food intake, but I don't worry AT ALL about my caloric intake, aside from sort of vague curiosity. I track my food to make sure I get in my protein and that I DON'T get in my carbs. I eat as much fat as I want, which is to say, not really that much. 

Works for me. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

frisco
on 11/8/14 3:59 am
On November 8, 2014 at 6:36 AM Pacific Time, ElizaM wrote:

Are you responding to G5x5? I can't tell sometimes, but if you are, you should read again.

Think about it. If you are eating 80g of protein, very low carbs, the only thing left that will increase your caloric intake is fat. And just try to overeat fat. I dare you. Sit down with a mug of olive oil, spoon mayo out of the jar. Revolting, right? And this from a girl who puts butter on her steak.

I believe strongly in tracking my food intake, but I don't worry AT ALL about my caloric intake, aside from sort of vague curiosity. I track my food to make sure I get in my protein and that I DON'T get in my carbs. I eat as much fat as I want, which is to say, not really that much. 

Works for me. 

First, not pointing to anyone in specific, just alarmed at some of the messaging about food quantity and content.

Not telling you or G5 how to do your thing..... this process pans out to whatever is going to happen.

Maybe you just haven't got to a "knife edge" part of WL yet or trying to establish and maintain a balance point.

For a lot of people the last 10-20-30-40-50 pounds is very hard to lose and what worked early on doesn't really work anymore without adjustment and that adjustment tends to be lowering caloric intake in either quantity or content and most times both.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm a fan of fats and personally not afraid of them.

Fat is flavor and texture and it is also calorie dense.

- Olive oil 120cals. a tbsp.

- Bacon 150cals oz.

- Butter 100cals tbsp.

- Mayo 90cals tbsp.

- Peanut Butter 95cals tbsp.

My point is to say to "eat all you want" of anything is not a good strategy. And in my opinion "not counting calories" is not a sound approach when looking at making a goal weight and long term weight control.

Counting calories really comes into play when WL becomes slower and trying to lose the last weight and maintenance is almost all about caloric control.

Sometimes the difference between WL and maintenance is 100cals per meal. Just add a fatty sauce, a dollop of mayo, a sprinkle of Parmesan and bang..... 100cals in a blink !

100 calories above your balance point everyday is about a 10lbs. weight gain in a year. (generally....approx.)

My choice, and not telling anyone to do this or my way or the hiway....... I choose to keep my quantity in a meal smaller and increase the caloric content. This gives me a much wider range of foods that I can eat. I virtually eat everything, and by that I mean in calorie dense foods like fried chicken and not carb centric meals. Eating larger amounts of higher calorie foods generally is not a good approach. As a matter of fact, as soon as I finish this post I'm getting on my bicycle to ride down to the wharf and met someone for a fried calamari lunch.

If fat calories don't matter, why is the duodenal switch such an effective surgery with malabsorption of fat calories as a major component. Some of them eat 7 sticks of bacon with their breakfast !!!

Side note, there used to be a saying around here that went like this.... "I can argue with you but I can't argue with your success" and according to your ticker you have done awesome.... and I can't argue that and I encourage you to keep doing what your doing and get what you want out of this !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Stacy_WLS
on 11/7/14 10:03 pm

How tall are you?

im 5'10 and have been shooting for 800 - 1000 since about 6 months out.  I focus on protein and veg.  I do eat dairy and berries and an occasional Apple so there are carbs there.

as I have been moving to maintenance some wine and carby side sneak in occasionally.  I also work out a lot.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Laura in Texas
on 11/7/14 10:14 pm

Walking is great for your heart and overall health, but does not do much for weight loss. I never "add" calories because I am exercising. I think that is a slippery slope for many of us.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Quanita L.
on 11/9/14 11:48 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Even on a board not based on people who have had WLS - eating back your exercise calories is a very emotive topic.

Technically I am pre-op - but I am also 8yrs post op.

When I was working out and losing weight I ate back my calories  (late last year) - to add protein to build lean body mass and generally to have an indulgence that I needn't feel guilty about because I worked my arse off so that I could have it. I lost on average a pound a week over 16 weeks and ate about 1600 calories a day (some days a bit more). 

I disagree with the view that eating extra calories is only for professional athletes.  Almost all long term weight loss solutions or philosophies recognise that you get more credit for activity.  You don't have to spend it, but if you want to or need it you can.

I also disagree with the limit carbs philosophies - it's not the only successful maintenance option and is not an option for everyone - particularly if you work out a lot and are interested in increasing your lean muscle mass or in improving your performance in any activity and in doing any complex thinking tasks.

If you don't have to be too restrictive with calories due to your activity level, then don't. That is a bonus for you being so dedicated to your active lifestyle.  If you don't feel your current lifestyle is restrictive, then keep at it, you don't need to eat more _just_ because you can.

As long as you are meeting your minimum nutrient requirements to be healthy and to get the most out of the activities you chose then use whichever you prefer of sticking with where you are at, or adapt so that you are eating like people who maintain their weight long term and have not had WLS.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active