Starting to get a bit discouraged...

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 1:56 am, edited 11/6/14 2:47 am

I am 6 1/2 weeks out from surgery and the scale just doesn't seem to want to budge!!  I've lost about 27lbs since surgery, but I really thought that since I started at 322lbs, I would be losing faster!!  I am getting all of my protein in and most of my fluids.  I am NOT eating ANYTHING that is not part of my diet plan from my doctor.  I am working up to exercising more, but I guess I could do more on that one.  However, I just feel that with my starting weight, the surgery and sticking to the plan, I should have lost more than I have by this point!!  

Also, I actually went to see my doctor last Thursday (10/30) I asked him if I was where he would expect me to be at this time frame and he said I am about 3-4lbs LESS than what he would have expected!!  Then he told me that I needed to start exercising more!!  It is just VERY upsetting because I want so badly to be successful, but I get angry with myself when I just can't fit in even 15 minutes of exercise!!  Any suggestions??  Anyone else had a similar experience???

Trust the Process!! :)

Gwen M.
on 11/6/14 2:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How is 27 pounds in 6.5 weeks not budging?!  That's amazing progress so far!  Who told you that you should have lost more by this point?  Stick to the plan and you'll reach your goals :)  

I started at 319, and I lost 18 pounds in the first 7 weeks post-op.  Now I've lost 115 pounds and I'm 8 months post op.  Does the fact that I "only" lost 18 pounds those first 7 weeks bug me?  Not even a little bit.  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 2:10 am

Thank you for letting me know that someone else has a similar story!!  To be honest, the hardest part for me is that a friend of mine who had RNY on the exact same day has lost over 50lbs so far!!  I know I'm not supposed to compare myself because my journey is different, but it is still hard!!  In addition, she has one son, but he is in college, while I have a 4 & 6 year old, so I am still trying to figure out how to get exercise into the mix!!  Anyway, thank you again and I truly hope that I am as successful as you in the end!! :)

Gwen M.
on 11/6/14 2:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

While exercise is great for your general health, weight loss is mainly diet.  So don't worry that the lack of exercise is hindering your weight loss.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/6/14 4:09 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Just remember that weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.  Comparing yourself to others is of course human nature, but it's certainly shouldn't make you feel discouraged.  

Exercise is important for your overall health, but it's not going to make a significant difference in the speed of your weight loss.  Work on drinking ALL your water and give yourself some time.  You've done an amazing job as even your doctor has said, so why are you looking at the negative side?  Be proud of your accomplishments and realize you're in this for the long haul.  You can do it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Luvmygs
on 11/6/14 2:10 am
VSG on 12/04/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lAC0XP48Ck

From my favorite Dr. regarding stalls. Its pretty normal.

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 2:14 am

Thank you - I am going to check out more of his videos for additional info!! :)

Banana14
on 11/6/14 2:38 am

I Totally get where you are coming from! I'm not as far out as you are but my scale literally stopped moving. My husband who had the surgery in March told me its a stall and it will pass but I started at over 300lbs so I thought I'd be losing it like crazy right out of the gate. It'll get better! Best of luck to you!

s.

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/14 2:42 am - AZ

I felt the SAME way! And no matter what people said, I still felt I was losing so slow, being at such a high starting weight (358lbs) Because like you, I noticed that the "heavier people" lost weight at a more rapid pace.. and I felt I was just barely losing...

BUT, as more time passed.. I didn't just focus on my weight #.. I saw changes in clothes, chairs I sat in ect. Im now a little past 8 months and down 121 lbs! never thought I would say that at the beginning.. So just try not to focus on the scale so much.. I know, easier said than done! I actually had my daughter take my scale away! And I only get to use it every 2 weeks now ;)

Good luck! you will get there! : ) Keep up the great work!

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 2:55 am

Thanks for the advice!!  You have done an awesome job!!  Did you exercise a lot during your journey??  The reason I ask is that in addition to having the surgery, I am also anemic, which obviously makes me very tired.  It is also the reason that my surgery was postponed and I had to have an iron infusion!!  Anyway, I just feel so guilty that, by the time I get finished with my 9 hour work day and get my kids home, fed, bathed and in bed, I just don't have the energy to exercise!!  Any help would be appreciated!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views