Carb cycling - Help, how do I stop?!?!?

Snowbutterfly
on 11/11/14 2:15 am

Im two months out and have noticed i havn't lost as much weight as i should. 30 pounds, but at a surgery weight of 344 i know i should be much further. I know why but i dont know how to fix it.  I got into the horrible habit of eating slider foods, mainly chocolate, chips, and cheez-its. I know i know, this is a HUGE no no and I realize this, which is why im seeking help. Please please please refrain from critisizm, that will only serve to make me ashamed, hide and not fix the issue.

I've always been a grazer. I knew this before surgery,  so when i got the sleeve i tried to stay strictly with the 3 (2-4oz) meals a day with 2 snacks. Problem is that i get full after about 1oz. So, following the rules, i stoped when full.  BUT that made me hungry an hr later. i cant graze tho remembrer? so i went crazy untill i could eat again... but only 1 oz! So little food led to some pretty bad sugar lvl issues (no im not diabetic, but i've always had issues with hypoglycemia). By the time the weekend came around i was desperate, and since we were having a party i grabbed a few chips here, a peice of chocolate there.  This made my head feel much better and eventually i was on the bad course of carb cycling (and guess what, i can eat a whole lot more than 1oz of slider foods. EEK). 

Now im stuck, and i feel guilty as hell. and the more guilty i feel, the more i eat carbs (because of course they are a mood elevator).

So any suggestions on how to stop the carb cycling is much appreciated. I know most people are going to say go back to the beginning and do protein shakes, however; protein shakes make me gag and a liguid diet makes me lightheaded and desperate. And desperation is what led me to starting the carb cycling in the first place. 

I appreciate any ideas. thanks. 

G5x5
on 11/11/14 2:21 am - VA

I can only think of one way with two steps:

(1) It'll likely take 3-5 days to break the addiction to carbs.  So plan for a long weekend where you won't have work distractions.  If necessary, crawl into bed, watch TV and sleep.  Do whatever you need to so you get throug the 3-5 days without retreating back to the carbs.

(2) Accept the LCHF lifestyle.  The reason being, while you're detox from the carbs, eat as much high fat foods as you like.  Don't even count the calories.  Your main objective to stay satiated during the duration of the detox.  If you're stuffed on steak, nuts, eggs, veggies, you won't hae much room for excess carbs.  Eat a big high fat meal, then crawl back to bed for a nap.

If you do this, the first couple of days will be tough, so do them on a weekend.  After that you just have to get through a few more days and all will be well.  Once you fully detox from the carbs your resistence to them will be much better.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Snowbutterfly
on 11/11/14 2:38 am

Thank you G5X5! I appreciate the refrain from criticism and your idea is great! I think i will try that this weekend. I have no plans so it will be perfect! :D

happyteacher
on 11/11/14 8:22 am

If you are hypoglycemic and go low (no) carb- be sure to monitor your blood sugar. Eat dense protein and green leafy veggies. Set a time in between meals that you will not eat (unless of course you are legit low blood sugar and need to). Perhaps try an acid reducer- acid can mimic hunger. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Snowbutterfly
on 11/11/14 10:14 am

I've tried a few acid reducers. Non have worked. Im going to talk to my doc about that tho . 

gmantek
on 11/11/14 2:26 am

Well I think you already know you have to cut out all the crap that has snuck into your diet.  Not only because you are not going to lose weight, but at 2 months out you are still healing and these types of foods could be doing some damage.  I think the only thing to say here is that you need to follow your plan.  If you can't stick to the 3 meals, how about eating more often, but same volume as your original plan.  I eat 4-5 times a day.  As far as protein shakes, my only advice is you need to find one you like and keep drinking.  It's impossible to get the protein you need without that shake right now. 

The only way is to just stop the bad behavior.  No way to sugar coat this for you.  We all stray from time to time, but you are very early out and should get this in control as soon as possible!  Try to remind yourself why you had this surgery.  Make a list and put it on your pantry or wherever you keep the chips and chocolate.  And for goodness sake - throw that crap out of the house:)

Snowbutterfly
on 11/11/14 2:43 am

Question, you mentioned that eating junk can do damage at 2 months. What kind of damage and do you know where i can find the research on that? Ive never read anything about that and im really interested to read more. 

Yes i realize i need to stop the behavior, im just asking for suggestions on HOW to stop. I do like your list idea and i will try, ty

i actually do get all my protein in a day without shakes. And while i had a protein deficiency pre-surgery, i am now normal for the first time in years (that has alot to do with my immune system too tho). So im not worried about my protein in-take. 

gmantek
on 11/11/14 2:56 am

at 2 months out i was still eating soft foods - that is what I'm referring to when I say damage.  Maybe you are out of soft foods in which case that doesn't apply to you.

Snowbutterfly
on 11/11/14 10:15 am

oh i see, no ive been out of soft foods for the last month. 

mickeymantle
on 11/11/14 2:34 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I think you need to see a therapist to help you stay on plan

and 30 lb in 2 months is good but you will lose more without the junk food

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active