Getting frustrated...

wyo_sarah
on 11/19/14 1:29 am

I'm almost 4 months post op and I've lost 66 lbs.  That is going great.  But, I'm getting very frustrated and am unsatisfied with what I'm eating.  I'm sticking to my plan...I have the occasional carb...I had 2 bites of Halloween candy, I had a couple bites of birthday cake on Sunday, I've eaten 3 crackers on a few occasions with cheese.  But, for the most part I focus on only eating protein.  But I'm missing food.  I want to eat pizza and spaghetti and ice cream.  How do you deal with this?  I keep telling myself that I'm doing great, looking good, but right now (and maybe it is just winter blues) it isn't enough.

BostonJoe
on 11/19/14 1:37 am

I've found that the desire to eat "bad" foods has waned as eating itself has become less satisfying. I don't think it would kill you to have a SMALL amount of a bad food OCCASIONALLY. I'm not a huge sugar eater, but I've had pizza (one slice) and pasta (very small servings) since my surgery. I don't make a habit of it.

But if you're worried about falling back into old habits, look at yourself in the mirror before you eat anything, and remember that the reason you're looking so good now is because you haven't eaten those things.

VSG 8/4/14 

wyo_sarah
on 11/19/14 1:49 am

Thanks, those are good suggestions.  My weight loss has slowed considerably and I think that may have to do with the small amounts of carbs I have been eating.  I will try to eat just a tiny bit to be happier, but also remind myself of my success.  Thanks. :)

Mell
on 11/19/14 1:42 am

I usually find something similar like pepperoni crisps (oven toast pepperoni) and put some cheese on top, or order a pizza and eat the toppings.  For spaghetti I make the sauce and put it over a bed of mushrooms, or use just a bit of whole wheat pasta.  For ice cream we have this spot here that sells carbolite and wow cow, it is truly amazing I think if you google it you can see if anyone in your area sells it. Or I make a milkshake - use half and half, frozen bananas, and sugar free chocolate pudding, you can add peanut butter or use any pudding flavor you want, just whirl in the blender let it set for about 2 mins and I will even top it with sugar free whipping cream.  

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

wyo_sarah
on 11/19/14 1:53 am

When I made spaghetti for my family, I ate the sauce over an Italian sausage with some mozzerella cheese.  That is delicious!  I've been trying to do that more often.  It seems like lately I've just been eating hamburger with cheese.  I'm trying to be more creative.  I live in a very small town in the middle of Wyoming...6 hours away from any metropolitan area, so we have no frozen yogurt shops, let alone any that serve something low carb.  But, I will try your milk shake idea!  Thank you!  My doc said I can eat sugar as long as I have protein first so I don't dump.  I just have to do it in very low amounts.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/19/14 2:03 am
VSG on 12/06/12

People with the sleeve generally do not dump. You can buy a spiralizer and make pasta out of veggies. Also buy a low carb tortilla and make pizza on it.

wyo_sarah
on 11/19/14 2:05 am

I ate 4 M&Ms on an empty stomach a while back and while I probably didn't "dump" I had a mild version of what I think would have been dumping had I eaten more.  I was scared to eat any sugar until I talked with my doc a couple weeks ago.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 11/19/14 2:12 am
VSG on 12/06/12

There is nothing wrong with not eating sugar but our sleeved anatomy is really not set up to dump. So I was just letting people know that. I honestly doubt 4 m&m's would have made you do anything close to dumping. It is caused when the food dumps directly from the stomach to the small intestines without being digested. Since we maintain our polyuric valve we do not have this issue. This article explains what causes it.

dumping

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/19/14 9:03 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I love my Veggetti.  It works great with zucchini and yellow squash.  

Vegge

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active