working out

Bearz
on 11/21/14 10:58 pm

I was just wounding if I should count my calories when I work out. Should I eat more?

Gwen M.
on 11/21/14 11:59 pm, edited 11/21/14 11:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Most calorie estimates from exercise are totally inaccurate, so that's not a good bet.  Exercise fails a lot of people trying to lose weight for this exact reason - people eat their calories back, reward themselves with food for exercising, and then they lose all the caloric benefit of exercise.  So what's the point?  

I exercise a lot - around 14 hours a week.  My longest days have me exercising for 3 hours in a row.  I find that, on those days, I do need to shift my meals around to account for the exercise, but I don't add more calories.  Instead, I had my breakfast protein shake in the morning, before I work out, and then I have lunch when I get home and have showered.  Bracketing the exercise with two meals that I was already planning on eating has worked well for me.  

If you find that you're doing 2+ hours of exercise in one go, and you find yourself getting woozy, you should tweak your meals in order to avoid that.  

(The one exception for me is Thursday when I wake up early to run and then have other exercise and have to stay awake to make it home from choir in the evening.  I drink an extra protein shake as a meal right before choir so that I'll have the energy to be able to sing and get home safely.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bearz
on 11/22/14 6:12 am

Thank you for your help. It makes sense.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/22/14 7:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I don't think you should increase your calories on days you work out, it could slow down your weight loss. It seems that people should be able to increase their calorie count on days they work out & still maintain their weight loss, but it's just not true. The amount of calories on those machines that shows how much you burn off are way inaccurate.

I find even when I use the app my fitness pal that does take into account the intensity that I work out & my weight, that those numbers are off too. There's no way I could have all those extra calories it says I can have & still lose weight. I figure you should stay with the same amount of calories,  if you have a killer workout & start to feel woozy at the end of it maybe only then you need a few more calories, but maybe all you'd need is a low cal gatoraid or something like that. For me since I have diabetes I have to watch my blood sugar, so whenever I start to feel weak after a workout I have low cal juice to get me going again.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Bearz
on 11/22/14 11:26 pm

Thank for your help.

Tracy D.
on 11/24/14 3:09 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No, at least not during weight loss-mode and not until you are REALLY doing intense exercise on a regular basis.  The whole idea is to run at a calorie deficit every day - that's how this surgery works.  You don't need to be "eating back" your exercise calories.  

Once you've lost all your weight and you are working out like an athlete (if you decide to go that route, many do not), THEN and only then should you look at eating more.  But I would highly recommend getting expert advice on the proper amount of protein/carbs/fats to get the fitness results you are looking for.  It's not something that most of us can figure out on our own. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active