I don't understand liquid

IdaRED
on 11/22/14 10:22 am - The Colony, TX

Hi All,

Help me understand. If my stomach only holds 4 oz. how can I drink more than that much at a time?  I read about people getting in an entire bottle in before breakfast. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. 

angelstwo
on 11/22/14 10:51 am
VSG on 10/15/14

It has to do with your pyloric valve.  It does not close with liquids like it does with dense proteins.  Frisco has a good explanation - use the search function at the top and search for pyloric valve.  Hope this helps you.

HW:  407; Decision Wt:  399; Consult Wt:  391;  SW:  327;  Pre-op weight loss:  72;  Post-op weight loss:  ??

Gwen M.
on 11/22/14 11:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Angelstwo is correct.  At the bottom of your stomach we have a pyloric valve.  It's open most of the time and closes when dense food hits it.  Liquids don't cause the valve to close so they go right through the stomach and, therefore, cause no feeling of fullness.  

This is why we can drink significantly more than we can eat.  When we eat solid food we need to wait for the food to break down a bit and the pyloric valve to open again.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/22/14 2:15 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Hey Gwen, I was just doing a bit of research on this and a journal of nuclear medicine study popped up, which I cannot for the life of me link for some unknown reason, but nevermind, this study found that in normal adults, with normal stomachs, gastric emptying of only water takes on average 20 minutes. If we extrapolate that as a sleeve in general empties faster than a normal stomach, perhaps water also empties faster (provided there is no gastropareisis), but it does stay in the sleeve for a time. Could be a very short time but nevertheless, a few minutes. So this is why small sips are important and over time especially early on. Our sleeves can become distended even on liquids alone if too much is taken in too quickly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 11/22/14 9:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Interesting!  I'd love to read that study since it conflicts with the other information I've read on the issue. 

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/22/14 11:06 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I couldn't link it probably because it was a pdf file. If you google gastric emptying liquids and journal of nuclear medicine I am sure you will see it. There were quite a few hits on the same subject.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 11/22/14 11:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I will hunt :)

frisco
on 11/22/14 1:40 pm

Hope this helps !!!

frisco

frisco
on 3/5/12 3:44 am VSG on 09/30/09

The Pyloric Valve.....the most not talked about function that will answer a lot of questions.

If you understand the Pyloric Valve function......things will be a lot easier and explain why we need to do certain things.......

First, I’m not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.

This is a level one explanation.....there is more to it....but if you understand this....it will make some sense.

This may be old news to some..... But I’ve noticed a lot of people who have had VSG do not have any idea how the Pyloric Valve works.

This is my understanding how the Pyloric Valve works.

The Pyloric Valve function and how it pertains to your VSG.

The function of your Pyloric valve is the single most not talked about important part of understanding how and when you should eat and drink.

The Pyloric Valve is just that....It is a valve that is located at the bottom of your stomach/sleeve. This valve is in between your sleeve and the small intestine. The basic definition of a valve is an apparatus that opens and closes.

When open this valve it is about the diameter of a dime. When closed it’s opening is closed down to the diameter of the head of a ballpoint pen.

Dense proteins and harder to digest foods will cause the Pyloric valve to close to hold the food in your stomach for pre-digestion...... stomach acids breaking down this “Rough” food. 

That’s why we are told to eat dense proteins first.....To close the Pyloric Valve so food stays in your stomach/sleeve longer so we have a sense of satisfaction.

It takes about 30-60 minutes for the food to clear the Pyloric Valve...... Than it’s OK to drink.

That is also where the term slider food  comes into play. A slider food does not close the Pyloric Valve and as the term is intended.....food slides right past an open Pyloric Valve.

So now the other half of the Pyloric Valve function..... You eat a dense protein like chicken that causes your Pyloric Valve to close. Say for example your sleeve has a 4oz. capacity.....and you eat 4oz. of chicken.....your sleeve is full and holding all 4 oz. of chicken for pre-digestion because your Pyloric Valve is closed. 

So now try and drink something....where is it gonna go? Up.....Up until it hits another valve of sorts..... the Esophageal Sphincter (valve) and above that is a flapper valve. The function of these two valves is to hold food, bile and stomach acids in your stomach and not backing up into your air way. This is a very high pressure system. Thats why when you eat to much or drink after eating a hard to digest food and your Pyloric is closed.....It hurts cause you pressurized your intake track. Vomiting would be a natural pressure release.

So you can see how learning and understanding how the Pyloric Valve works is important as it pertains to eating and drinking with a Gastric Sleeve.

So that was kinda like VSG and the Pyloric Valve 101

As you get further a long you will want to use the Pyloric Valve in other ways to keep food in your sleeve longer to stay satisfied longer. 

A sleeve empties faster than a stock un altered full size stomach so sometimes it’s beneficial for you to learn what foods stay in your sleeve longer to extend satisfaction.

Dense proteins are #1 in closing the Pyloric Valve. Chicken, steak, pork, fish.....in that order seems to be the way it goes for me.

Other foods that are hard to digest and help close the Pyloric Valve are foods like:

• Broccoli Stalk
  • Asparagus
  • Celery
  • Cucumber with Skin
  • Radish
  • Cabbage (I’m testing this right now)
  • Bell Pepper

So I hope you understand my 5 cent tour of the Pyloric Valve and how it effects the way we eat with a VSG and how important it is to work the Pyloric Valve to your benefit.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

November18
on 11/22/14 9:42 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks for reposting that. I know I've read it before but now that I'm actually sleeved it is easier to understand. I'm just 5 days out and working on the liquids. The time thing is what is hard for me. I just want to get them in so I don't have to worry it. Tracking all day is hard. Again. Thanks for your help.

Bonnie

Sasny
on 11/22/14 10:39 pm
VSG on 03/20/12

HI

Just my personal experience - less than 24 hours after my surgery - I had a leak test in which I had to drink a special liquid and have X-rays taken at the same time.  Aside from the stuff tasting gross it was cool to see - I was able to see the liquid go right through my new tiny stomach and into my intestines.  It was pretty instantaneous.  And at that point there must have been swelling.  But the stomach was empty and the pyloric valve was open.  In that scenario liquids go straight through.

Most Active