Things you wish you'd asked

SpikyLED
on 11/24/14 5:00 am

So, I'm considering VSG.  I've done about half of the insurance pre-reqs, but I still feel like I have a lot of questions that I'm having trouble getting addressed.  I don't know if that is the dr's office that we chose, or if it is just the way things are. 

Anyway, I've made an appointment with one of the PAs at the surgeon's office to get all my questions answered and concerns heard.  I'm making a list.  What are some things that you wish you had known or asked about before your surgery?

NurseJackie
on 11/24/14 5:31 am
VSG on 07/10/14

The VSG is completely worth it. The dietary restirictions and do's and don'ts are the biggest thing to learn!

VSG on July 10th, 2014

Gwen M.
on 11/24/14 11:47 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't have a lot of general questions, since I read EVERYTHING here before surgery.  (I read all the old posts on the VSG forum and have kept up to date reading everything new.)  I had strangely specific ones about my surgeon's requirements - will I need to wear a binder?  Will I have a drain?  How long in the hospital?  What will you give me for pain and nausea?  What's your follow up schedule look like?  What's the recovery meal plan?  Stuff like that.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

wyo_sarah
on 11/25/14 12:22 am

I would ask for their suggestions on specific protein drinks and vitamins.  I bought some vitamins from my surgeon's office, but they were gross and very expensive.  I bought a HUGE bottle, but they said I only needed chewables for 2 months.  I wish I had known that and I wish I would have tried them first.  Also, the pre-surgery diet was a big question for me because it seems like all the doctors are very different.  There are folks on here who were on liquids for 4 weeks, I was on liquids for ONE DAY.  My other big question was on alcohol consumption.  I'm not a heavy drinker by any means, but I do like a drink every now and again so it was good for me to hear from my doc that I shouldn't have any alcohol for a whole year.  Carbonation is another one that seems to vary from doc to doc.  So, if you are a soda drinker, that might be a question you want to ask.

Most Active