Frisco- Turkey A la King..... Thanksgiving Leftovers !!!!

frisco
on 11/26/14 7:00 am

This may not be up on Cafe Frisco for a little bit as there are some server issues at the moment.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!!

Enjoy the event and eat great on plan food !!!

frisco

Turkey or Chicken Ala King

Left over Thanksgiving turkey or left over chicken, try this on plan interpretation of A la King !!!
The holidays tend to be a time of great proteins and mixing it up can be fun and enjoyable!
Traditional A la King is pretty high in calories and carbohydrates, here is how I changed it up to bring it back to a dish we can enjoy and stay on plan.
Cream sauces and gravies tend to be fat and flour, peas can be a bit starchy and a little high in carbohydrates.
Feel free to change it up as I always want to share the concept over exact recipes, but always know the nutritional values going into your meals !

Ingredients:

2oz. (wt.) Turkey meat
2 small Crimini Mushrooms
1/8 Knorr chicken bouillon cube
2oz. water
1 wedge Laughing Cow creamy swiss light
*Optional 1/8tsp. Nutritional thickener (Thicken Up)
1/4tsp. pepper
1/8tsp. crushed garlic
1tbsp. diced carrot
1tbsp. diced onion
1tbsp. diced celery
1tbsp. diced red bell
1tsp. fine chopped chive
1tbs. rough chopped parsley
Smoked paprika

Directions for sauce:

In a pyrex type mixing cup add 2oz. of water, 1/8 bouillon cube, 1/8tsp. garlic, 1/4tsp. black pepper, 1 wedge Laughing Cow and 1 fine sliced mushroom.(optional 1/8tsp. Thicken Up)
Microwave for about a minute or until you see the liquid start to boil.
Pour contents into blender (Magic Bullet is perfect) or stick blend with just a few pulses.
Let stand while you do the saute.

Directions for saute:

In a small non stick skillet lightly sprayed with cooking oil.
Over medium heat add carrot, onion, red bell pepper, celery, chives, parsley and mushroom.
Saute for just a couple minutes to retain firmness and even a little crunch. Add a little black pepper and probably no salt as the bouillon in the sauce has plenty of sodium.

Platting:

Heat the sauce for 30 seconds or so in the microwave and pour into a dish. Add the saute and garnish with smoked paprika and chives !

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

November18
on 11/26/14 7:52 am
VSG on 11/18/14

That looks delicious!!! I'm so hungry! Still on full liquids. In time I can try it. Thanks for posting.

Bonnie

diane S.
on 11/26/14 8:50 am

what a great idea. i really miss "creamy" dishes and never thought of using laughing cow.  actually fat free sour cream is quite good and might work too.   we always have a turkey soup after thanksgiving made with sour cream and lemon and the fat free works great.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

sillymilly
on 11/27/14 12:22 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Sounds - and looks - great!

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/14 4:31 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you!  The recipe sounds fantastic and I will try it with the leftovers...if there are any.  :)  I am cooking this year and Alan is "assisting".  The kids are watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on TV and the dogs are curled up on the couch next to them.   Life is good.  I am still thankful for my sleeve, Dr. C, you guys (you know who you are), and this amazing journey.  Life is better on this side, no doubt about it.....there is so much to be grateful for each day.  Thank you for posting, your ideas keep me from getting bored with my food.  

stephanieplum
on 11/27/14 8:23 am
VSG on 06/27/12

There You are!!!  I was wondering about you:). Happy Thanksgiving!

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/14 3:51 am

I don't post much anymore. Life became much busier since Alan no longer works from home.  Between grad school, work and parenting, I am kept hoping.  I do check in here from time to time to see how my friends are doing.  I hope all is well with you.  Happy Holidays.

Lee ~
on 11/29/14 4:20 am - CA

Hi sweetie, I came looking for you so that I could give you a big hug and say, Happy Holidays!  It looks like you're doing great.  I'm so happy to read that you're not on here often because life is busy.

All's good here!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active