Question about health...

shannon2128
on 11/21/14 12:44 am - Chicago, IL

Hello all...I have a question about overall health after the fact...for someone that was healthy before surgery.  I'm one of the lucky few that is pretty healthy pre-surgery.  No BP issues, no cholesterol issues, nothing.  Other than aches and pains and being uncomfortable, I'm fine.  

I've been approved for surgery based on my BMI, date is 12/31.  I'm getting nervous, not about the surgery, but that maybe I'm pressing my luck?  I'm concerned with the possibility of having health issues I didn't worry about after surgery. 

Was anyone in my shoes and now further out without any concerns/issues?  Or are there things I should be worried about?

Live well, Laugh hard, Love harder...

30-ish, 5' 4", HW: 325, LW: 220, CW: 276, GW: 145

Pre-op: 14lb, M1: 21, M2:

luvmypuggies
on 11/21/14 1:11 am

Starting worrying about how you're going to pay for all those lovely new clothes you're going to have to buy as the weight comes off! :)  Seriously though, your concerns are totally legit and I felt the same way, but think about the possibility of all the health problems you are likely to develop without surgery.  I don't know how old you are, but I'm 51 and even at 220 I could tell that although I didn't officially have any other health problems (other than depression mainly due to my weight and inability to lose it), all my numbers (BP, chol, etc) were slowly creeping toward the danger zone.  I decided to "fix myself" and get back to feeling super healthy for the next fifty years. This surgery is an amazing tool, and I'm so glad I took the plunge and went for it.  Good luck!!

Gwen M.
on 11/21/14 1:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was super healthy pre-op and life is even better now, 120 pounds smaller.  I think it's fine to worry though - you're basically having major elective surgery on a healthy body.  Eek.  But, I'm so glad that I did it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenn1469
on 11/21/14 1:12 am

I had no health issues except arthritis and 5 months out i have no  pain at all my record was easy do to no heath issues I'm sure

Jennifer

TheNewT
on 11/21/14 1:20 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I was relatively healthy. BMI was definitely over 40. I was diagnosed with diabetes in June and had my VSG surgery in August. So I had surgery and all was going well. For the last month I have been suffering from peripheral neuropathy that they believe is brought on my a vitamin deficiency. My B1 tanked 2 months after surgery. The pain/tingling/numbness...did I mention the pain... is rough. I did have a moment where I said the surgery is NOT worth this pain that I am feeling. I can't work out like I am used to. Just going shopping with my family is a chore because of the pain. After I cried and had my pity party (which lasted a week) I came to my senses. As long as we have a plan to resolve my issues I will slowly improve. The pain will go away. I know I needed this surgery. And while this pain is temporary, the benefits of surgery will last a lifetime!

susan88
on 11/21/14 1:30 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Think about all of the health issues you are going to avoid by getting the surgery! Plus the added benefits with the surgery.

My situation was similar.  My overall health was good except my cholesterol.  However, as I continued to gain wait my feet hurt, my hips started to ache and I was realizing that things were not going to improve without me losing weight.  I was concerned because even though my health was good my mom is a mess.  She has knee, thumb, and shoulder replacements, a heart condition, and other issues that all started in her 50s.  I decided to not take the health path that she did and I felt that the surgery would help prevent me taking her paths.

A big eye opener for me was when I priced life insurance at 240 pounds vs 150.  Holy moly! The premium went from $200 plus to $50!!  That was the convincing point.  The insurance savings alone would pay for the surgery in several years. 

The complications for the sleeve are relatively low versus the health benefits of being a healthy weight and living a healthier lifestyle.  

But your concerns is what sacred the life out of my family.  Now they are on board when they see how much better I look and feel.

You are sure starting the New Year out in a great way.  Your surgery is New Years Eve?  That is cause for celebration. 

Good luck with your journey. You won't regret it.

shannon2128
on 11/21/14 2:06 am - Chicago, IL

Thank you!  You echo my thoughts about it exactly!  Yes, my surgery is New Year's Eve...when I got the call the only two days left for the year were Christmas Eve and New Year's - I took the new year, new me deal! 

shannon2128
on 11/21/14 2:02 am - Chicago, IL

Thank you!  My thought process, and the discussion I had with the pysch lady, was that I'm doing this to be proactive in avoiding the health problems that could come with me not doing anything about it...so I know it's the right thing, just the worry wort in my brain keeps asking the question...lol

Valerie G.
on 11/21/14 2:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're the favorite type of patient for a weight loss surgeon.  Comorbities can increase the risk of complications.  The fact that you are healthy now lessens that risk.    I, too, was extremely healthy despite a BMI of 46.  Now 9 yrs later after the DS, I'm so stinking healthy that my life insurance gave me a refund on my premium after my physical because I qualified for their best rates. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shannon2128
on 11/21/14 3:57 am - Chicago, IL

That is awesome!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 40 views