Having 2nd thoughts about getting the sleeve vs Lap Band

JCRAIG
on 11/26/14 8:17 am
VSG on 12/09/14

I am scheduled for surgery on Dec. 9th so I'm getting close, but now the doubts have started to creep in.

My doctor said he would recommend the sleeve which I was good with until I started seeing all of the photos of

excess skin, extensive plastic surgery, etc. It really took me back to reconsidering the Lap Band because I understand

the weight loss is possibly slower and therefore I may not have all the excess.

Any thoughts?

Gwen M.
on 11/26/14 9:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Slower weight loss will not "solve" the problem of excess skin.  If you lose weight, and you're going to have excess skin, you're going to have excess skin.  It's based on your body, genetics, age, how long you've been obese, and lots of other stuff.  Not speed.  

And you could not pay me enough to have the lap band.  Every single person I know who has had the band has either needed a revision or has serious complications.  I found out that the receptionist at my podiatrist's office throws up every time she eats solid food due to her band, and she's 5 years out or so.  I can't imagine living that way.  There are so many complications with the band and even though there's the claim that it's "removable," the harm that it can do to your body is often irreparable.  Like I said, you could not pay me enough to go the lap band route.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KathyA999
on 11/26/14 9:27 am, edited 11/26/14 9:27 am

Excess skin is much more a factor of age, weight at the start of your journey, and genetics than the pace you lose it.  To me it seems a lower priority thing to base your surgery type on; much more important are things such as the potential for problems in the future (such as scarring/erosion of the stomach), the statistics on band patients who get revisions or have the band out, statistics on excess weight lost (EWL) and so on.  Most of us have excess skin to deal with.  I'd rather have that than excess fat.  The way I look at it is, you don't come back from where *we've* been without souvenirs, LOL!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

MAchick
on 11/26/14 9:35 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Haha at souvenirs!  Love that line! 

knolmom
on 11/26/14 9:31 am

After not being able to have the sleeve due to GERD and the beginning of Barret's Esophagus, I had to choose between the gastric bypass( RNY) and the lap band( Crap Band). As I am a little older, fatter and higher pulmonary and cardio risk than most, so naturally I asked my surgeon about the band. She said, quite truthfully, for every one I put in I take two out. That made RNY an easy choice.

happyteacher
on 11/26/14 9:50 am

Ok, I am rarely this blunt so please know i am saying this with only good intention- that is a terrible reason to not have the vsg compared to the lap band. I don't care how slow you lose weight- a deflated balloon is a deflated balloon. I know you may not be thrilled about the idea of loose skin, but I can attest to the fact that it is far, far better than being super fat. Go with the vsg, get the weight off, and don't worry about the skin. Remember, it is about improving your health. You will also look better even with the loose skin!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

JCRAIG
on 11/26/14 10:32 am
VSG on 12/09/14

Thank you to all *****plied. I had no idea I would get such honest and compelling feedback so quickly.

I guess that was why my physician chose the sleeve for me and I should trust his judgement.

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Jon

56sunShine14
on 11/26/14 9:47 pm

Hi Jon,

Trust these answers.  I had the band, lost 80 pounds, and the baggy skin was there.  I was very active, exercised and all. It does not prevent the skin sag.

Don't do the band.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

JCRAIG
on 11/27/14 1:37 am
VSG on 12/09/14

Thanks Karen. Looks like I received some wrong information about the band not causing the baggy skin.

Much appreciated.

Jon

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/26/14 2:25 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I discussed with three different surgeons before settling on mine. None, including mine, put the band in anymore at all. And from over three years of reading on here and seeing how many folks have serious problems and revisions from the band, like Gwen, you couldn't pay me enough to have it. There are some very successful bandsters and some who will defend it to their death. Granted. And there are some who have complications from all surgery types also. But the stats speak a very clear story any way you slice it.

and loose skin you will have if you are going to have it regardless of how you lose weight with or without surgery, fast or slow. It is a function of your skin, age, genetics, etc. nothing to do with the surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active