Is it normal for weight loss to slow way down closer to goal?

joconnor0922
on 11/28/14 9:01 am, edited 1/4/15 10:12 pm

Hi everyone!!

I'm almost 7 months out from surgery and my weight loss has been pretty steady along the way. After the first month, my weight has consistently averaged about 2 pounds per week. I started at a weight of 232 and my surgeon's goal was 160, my goal is 140. I'm weighing in at 155 right now. My weight loss seems to be really slow right now, I have lost about 6 pounds this month. I'm wondering if it's normal for things to slow down the last 10-20 pounds to goal weight? I haven't changed anything to make things slow down and if the slower weight loss is normal, I will continue with what I'm doing until I get to goal. If it's not normal, I would be looking to change things up. What do you think?

ETA:

Ok- here it is a month later and I'm getting frustrated!! I though 6 pounds was low last month, this month I only lost 3 pounds- down to 152. I've gone to my surgeon's support group the past 2 months and everyone else's losing is continuing pretty steadily. It's hard to watch because I feel like my eating plan is so much more restrictive and I'm happy to continue that way if it's going to get me results but at this point I'm feeling like I must be doing something wrong. They are eating fruit, bread, oatmeal, crackers, etc- with continued loss. I met with my nutritionist right before Christmas and got the same response as before- increase your calories, stop counting carbs and eat more often. I eat 3 meals per day, she recommends 6 times. I am happy with my loss so far but I want to make sure that I use this tool to get me as far as I can- I have another 7 pounds before I'm at a healthy BMI and I would like to get lower than that to give myself a 10 pound range. Tell me I'm not crazy (or maybe I am!!). My eating is consistent as described above.

frisco
on 11/28/14 9:09 am

What is your calorie, protein, carb daily intake?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

joconnor0922
on 11/28/14 9:33 am

700-900 calories per day, protein averages 70 grams, some days 65, some days up to 80. I keep my carbs low, under 40. I have had a few days (3) in the last 2 months where I have had not followed calorie/carb restrictions, but other than that my days are pretty much the same. Calorie and carb restriction is my own choosing as my surgeon and nutritionist say calories should be 1000-1200 and that I should not restrict carbs. I have surpassed their projected weight loss and definitely surpassed their estimated time table, but what I eat is much more restricted than the other patients.

frisco
on 11/28/14 10:16 am
On November 28, 2014 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, joconnor0922 wrote:

700-900 calories per day, protein averages 70 grams, some days 65, some days up to 80. I keep my carbs low, under 40. I have had a few days (3) in the last 2 months where I have had not followed calorie/carb restrictions, but other than that my days are pretty much the same. Calorie and carb restriction is my own choosing as my surgeon and nutritionist say calories should be 1000-1200 and that I should not restrict carbs. I have surpassed their projected weight loss and definitely surpassed their estimated time table, but what I eat is much more restricted than the other patients.

Your definitely on a high percentage path to goal and you sound like your doing great and being pro-active in your anticipating what's coming next.

"For most" the last 10-20lbs. can be harder to lose than the first 100lbs.

Several basic reasons for it is that your body has much less to push around with your massive WL, just think how many more calories you would burn if you were to carry a 90lbs. backpack around 24/7. Your body is running much more efficient and is requiring less to sustain.

If you adjust anything, go a little lower on the cals. I had to go closer to the 600 number to lose the last weight.... it can get gnarly and ugly, but this is where the fight is and it's so worth the fight.

For you it's just little tweaks that will get you there.... stay consistent, keep your fluids up and don't listen to the "eat more" suggestions.....

I'm not surprised you are surpassing your programs averages, your doing GREAT !!!!

Keep up the great work !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mickeymantle
on 11/28/14 10:12 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there is less of you to burn cal so the lose will slow down , unless you exersize aND BURN MORE OR EAT LESS

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

mrspetty
on 11/28/14 10:18 am
VSG on 03/26/14

Way to go! That is phenomenal and it sounds like you are doing a great job of sticking to the plan. 

I would say that it is completely normal for weight loss to slow down, especially since you have lost so fast. I'm 8 months out and have lost just over 100 pounds and have been 'stuck' here for about a month now. I'm not as strict as you, but I would say that it's definitely  normal and stick to the plan.

The only think I could suggest would be to try increasing calories. I know it seems counterintuitive, but I've heard others talk about increases calorie intake helping to spur the loss once it gets to this point.

Best wishes!

DiaMon
on 11/28/14 10:57 am
VSG on 03/12/14

My first goal was very easy to reach... Now for my revised goal..... It has taken 3 months to lose 15 pounds (which is still pretty good), I want to reach 140 by the time I leave to Cancún in a couple of weeks and by the looks... I doubt it, I will be pretty close though. It has been the toughest pounds to lose. I reach between 900-1200 calories per day if I pu**** But you know what? I gave up on driving myself crazy with the scale, I am pretty happy now and don't obsess about it, I instead focus on the sizes that I do lose. I'm now a size 6-8 pants and small tops and comparing to being a size 22 and XL tops I'm pretty stoked! So I say be happy with your current you and let your healthy habits take care of the rest! ;)

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Gwen M.
on 11/28/14 11:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal.  How much liquid are you getting in every day?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

VSG on 06/12/13

Yep. Here is my graph, for comparison:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

joconnor0922
on 1/5/15 4:19 am

Updated in the original post. A little over a month later and I'd love some more insight- you guys are always so helpful!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views