Help! What are your best tips for a Cruise??

Scott S.
on 12/15/14 2:34 am - TX

Heading to a cruise soon and the anxiety is building?   Any tips would be much appreciated!!

VSG: 8/8/13 

cappy11448
on 12/15/14 3:06 am

Hi,

I've taken two cruises since surgery, and I found the following strategy worked for me.

First, I tried to stick to plan for breakfast and lunch, eating dense protein and low carb veggies early in the day.  But at dinner, I gave myself some latitude to cheat.  I still tried to eat dense protein first, but I would have bread, deserts and wine often with dinner.

Our cruise was destination-oriented, so we were off the boat walking most days, so I got lots of exercise.  I came back heavier, but the excess weight came off quickly, so I assume it was water weight. 

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  Where are you going?

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Scott S.
on 12/15/14 4:44 am - TX

Thanks Carol! Great ideas!

We are headed to Aruba and DR out of Miami.  It's been years since I have cruised.  I remember someone posting a while back about bringing water bottles and Crystal Light.

Thanks again!

Scott

jenorama
on 12/15/14 3:30 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I haven't cruised post-surgery yet (doing Alaska Sept 2015), but I've done 2 cruises pre-op.  My husband has a milk restriction, so he always talks to the Maitre-d of the MDR about his restriction and he orders his dinners ahead of time.  In our experience, the kitchen on board a cruise ship is very accommodating because they know you don't have any alternative and the last thing they want is for you to have a bad experience.  

A lot of post-op people are worried about wasting food and some don't care.  If you're worried about wasting food, talk to the maitre-d and let him know about your surgery and ask if you can have smaller portions.  It's quite likely that they will be able to do that for you.  In the MDR there are usually a couple of meat options and a couple of pasta options.  I'd skip the pasta and focus on the dense protein options.  

The buffet could also be another option for you with the benefit being that you can control the portions.  Most buffets will have a carving station, so that would be a good choice along with veggies.  We avoid the buffet mostly because we can't know for sure what's in the food and if my husband gets milk, he's going to have a bad time.

Specialty restaurants that you pay an additional fee for are up to you.  We sail Norwegian and all of their ships have a great steakhouse as well as a Brazilian steakhouse where they keep bringing you meat. I'm still on the fence about doing the Brazilian one.  On the one hand, the focus on protein is perfect for me, but on the other, it's an additional $20, so do I want to spend that for a very tiny bit of meat?  

Modern ships have a lot of activities, so make sure to stay busy so you're not tempted to sneak down to the buffet and graze.  :D  

Have a great time and try not to stress out too much!  Let us know how it goes.  :D

Jen

Scott S.
on 12/15/14 4:46 am - TX

Thanks Jen!  Great tips and I think I'll let them know ahead of time in the restaurant like yousuggested.

Scott

mary1967
on 12/15/14 3:42 am
VSG on 11/13/14

What about bring Premier Protein drinks, has anyone done that? We love to cruise!

Scott S.
on 12/15/14 4:47 am - TX

I have a 9-pack that I am taking.  I do not drink coffee anymore, so Premier is my morning drink of choice!

mary1967
on 12/15/14 4:53 am
VSG on 11/13/14

I don't know what cruise line you're go with but with Carnival you can go online and pre-buy bottle water by the 1/2 case to case. It cost about the same amount as if you would buy it while on the boat. Don't know if any other cruise lines do this.

Scott S.
on 12/16/14 2:06 am - TX

Thanks Mary!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views