Help! I want your advice!

FindingMe15
on 12/15/14 1:25 pm

I am just starting the process for the VSG.5'4" HW 212 CW 204 GW 125. I would love to hear pro's/con's, should've/would've, successes/failures, and complications. Please share anything you think I should know!

Thanks!!!!

DelilahJO
on 12/15/14 8:09 pm

You are looking to have the sleeve done? I would start with an info seminar at the surgeons office of your choosing. How long you have struggled with your weight. Most definitely your insurance requirements. If it's for you go for it! I'm 7 mo post op from my sleeve and its one of the best decisions i ever made!! Good luck :) 

Daelcare
on 12/15/14 8:30 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Best decision you'll ever make!!  Not to put a damper on it, however, at your current numbers, you won't qualify unless you have some comorbidities to go along with it.  I was in the same boat, but because I have sleep apnea and high cholesterol, I only needed a 35 BMI to qualify.  That being said...insurance still denied me (their exclusion)...and I paid out of pocket.  I understand that if you go to Mexico for the surgery that you might not need to meet the same requirements (check that out...I never fully investigated, just got the drift from posts on here).  I cannot think of a con to having the surgery!  You should start with the "overview" seminar that most do and see if it's what you really want.  They will tell you the next steps for their group...everyone is different.  You will have to make serious life changes if you decide to do it....you can't be successful and do it the way you've always done it.  I would do it again in a heartbeat!  Like everyone says...just wish I'd done it years ago!  Best of luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

FindingMe15
on 12/16/14 1:41 am

Thank you for the feedback! I will be self pay, and the requirements are a BMI over 30. Mine is about 34.

Thanks!

crittemom
on 12/16/14 7:47 am

I, too, was self-pay, as I didn't want to wait for the insurance (minimum 6 month wait) to approve or not. I was 223lbs when I started (3 wks ago), had the surgery on 12/3/14, and have lost 20lbs to date. Since I had diabetes, high cholesterol, high bp, and arthritis issues, the doc approved me right away. I stopped my diabetes meds(victoza) as my numbers went down so fast, right before the surgery, and am now diabetes free (WLS is supposedly the only "cure" for diabetes-which was my #1 reason for having the surgery). Eliminating/reducing the issues related to being overweight are priceless in my book, and worth the cost of the surgery. I would do it again, and wish I would have known about it sooner, or I would have done it sooner. I don't know why insurance companies don't jump on this since it would help so many reduce/eliminate issues associated with weight. Surgery: no complications except they found a hernia and had to deal with that. Not a problem. Not much pain for me, but I've had lots of surgeries, and can deal with pain well. Little pain compared to most of the surgeries I've had. 2 days of pain meds max for me. Recovery on track, weakness is my most annoying issue, but that will improve as I get more calories in. Lots of noises coming from within, and my dietician says they will get worse, not better, with time, but they are just noises! I need to remember to bring my food/drinks where I go, as I'm still new to this. This is what I wanted, what I paid for, and what I am willing to sacrifice for. I won't screw it up, because I want it to succeed so much. So I look at it like this: I am 53, don't want to go blind or lose limbs from the diabetes, and I want my arthritis to feel better. Anything else is a bonus, and I still will be able to enjoy the flavors of my favorite foods albeit in moderation, and be able to take my arthritis meds as needed. Since my diabetes meds cost me over $350 a month (after insurance), I'm already making up for the cost of the surgery! The preop diet is challenging, as are the  postop diets, but they are TEMPORARY. Always look to the end result and the future, and it is definitely worth it. I wish you good luck, and a Merry Christmas!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views