Trying really hard not to puke.

happyteacher
on 12/14/14 4:45 am

Ugh. I had surgery Friday to take out the tissue expanders that were put in due to a bilateral mastectomy, and had implants put in. I am not a newbie when it comes to surgery with 3 major ones in less than a year. I cannot seem to knock out the nausea this time though. I have (had) the patch, take Zofran, and forget about solid food. I also feel like I have 20 pounds of fluids on me right now, and feel terrible bloated... which is to be expected. If anyone out there has any suggestions I am all ears. I am already doing warm tea and pounding fluids. My chest sore enough that I really want to avoid puking!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/14 5:35 am

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time this time. NUTS! I was thinking that you should pound the fluids, but you already are, so there goes that suggestion. As long as you stay hydrated, get electrolytes and sodium, not eating for a few days won't kill you.

Congrats on the final stage of your breast cancer surgery! I'm sure it will be nice to have "boobies" once again.

Healing wishes.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/14/14 6:26 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Are you taking pain medication? pain medication without food might make you feel sick.. maybe some flat ginger-ale? peppermint always seems to help me, peppermint mints mostly.  I did a quick search and two sites suggested aromatherapy.

Link 1     Link 2

Hope you feel better soon

weeziebeth
on 12/14/14 6:59 am

I have 2 old fashion recovery room nurse tricks that may help. 1-fill a ziplock baggie with ice, wrap it in a dishtowel (just once around-you want the cold) and place it at about your collar bone and just leave it there-this helps suppress your vagus nerve which is in charge of that 'i want to vomit' feeling. 2-if you have some rubbing alcohol lying around, take an occasional whiff. Hope those help. Also, ginger-via pill or tea or other-really can help. Really hope you feel better soon.

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

happyteacher
on 12/14/14 10:44 pm

Never heard the collar bone ice pack- I will give that a try. I have been doing the ginger ale and mint tea. I will also give the aromatherapy a try. The poster above is correct- part of it is coming from the pain killers. Narcotics and I are not good friends to say the least, but that should only be a couple more days until I can switch over to something less potent. After i posted yesterday my youngest daughter took her temp, and was at 104 so I think it is possible I have a touch of what she has as well. Thank you everyone. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Nikke2003
on 12/14/14 11:47 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions... but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having a tough time and I'm glad you seem to be finishing up on your recovery - surgery wise? I hope so! Hang in there!!!!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views