Worried about the holidays

wyo_sarah
on 12/15/14 12:26 am

I'm 4.5 months post op and this weekend I did some holiday baking.  I have to bring treats to a piano recital, a cub scout Christmas party, a meeting, for employees...the list goes on and on.  So, I did some baking and I think I did pretty good.  I had two or three bites of sugar cookies and a bit of peanut butter cookie dough.  I did lick the frosting off my fingers when I was making frosting.  Last week at work I had a little bite of peanut brittle.  I'm just worried that this is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought.

Gwen M.
on 12/15/14 12:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Do you really "have" to bring treats for these things?  Can you bring healthier fare instead?  I doubt that anyone's world will end without yet another plate of holiday treats, eh?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 12/15/14 12:34 am

I'm with Gwen -- don't put yourself through this.  Bring a tray of fruit or veggies and dip.  No one needs that sugary crap!  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

wyo_sarah
on 12/15/14 12:51 am

I can bring other things to a couple, but not all.  Some they have to be cookies because we are delivering them to other people.  But, I will try that.  It will be hard with everyone else bringing treats too.  Thanks for the suggestion!

greensleeved
on 12/15/14 1:25 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Can you buy premade cookies right before you have to go? That way you won't taste along the way and they won't be sitting there taunting you.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

linison
on 12/15/14 1:59 am
VSG on 10/13/14 with

My strategy for baking thus far has been to have a sugar free mint in my mouth the whole time I'm baking, just sucking on it.  It is helping me break my habit of tasting dough and licking the bowl (which I did absolutely without a thought before as it turns out).  As for staying away from them once they're cooked, immediately after the baked things are ready, I package and seal them in whatever I'm taking, and either stash them in the fridge or in my car to take with me.  

Surviving holiday parties for me has been a little harder, since people gather in the kitchen.  I keep a drink (usually water or tea) in my hand and keep sipping.  It's a great reminder, especially since we can't eat and drink at the same time anymore.  Also, as soon as I can get OUT of the kitchen, I retreat to a seat, or take a walk and talk with a friend/relative, and try to spend some quality time with everyone.  By the end, it's been a long time and I haven't gotten bored and wandered back into the kitchen.  I even played an impromptu game of softball at Thanksgiving. 

I've had a bite of sweet treat here and there, but it's always from my husband's plate, and I don't go near the dessert table.  Maybe some of my strategies will work for you too.  They're working so far for me!

wyo_sarah
on 12/15/14 11:09 pm

Thank you, those are helpful suggestions.  I was actually pretty proud of myself for only having a couple of tastes when I baked 12 dozen cookies.  

frisco
on 12/15/14 2:24 am

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way !!!

Have someone else take care of your obligations this year..... another mom a relative a youth group hire someone buy from a bakery..... many many options !!!!

Next year when you are more established and new normals are in place...... resume !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/14 3:02 am

I'm with Frisco. This is a time when you need self care more than you need to be super mom and be all things for all people. One thing I have come to believe over the past three years is that most obese folks have a tendency towards codependency. You don't need to be dealing with this type of food stress - honestly.

You are having nibbles here and there already and that sets up a poor precedent for the future. Think really hard about how important this life change is to you. If you can't bake without a taste and those tastes are worrisome to you, then I'd say best not to bake right now. It took me about a year to be comfortable "not licking the spoon".

Be strong!

Most Active