Anti-Depressants

coop1977
on 12/16/14 11:43 am - Canada

I have taken some sort of anti-depressant for the last 10 years.  My surgeon wants me off all time released meds for at least 2 weeks before surgery.  So for the last few weeks I have been weaning off my Cymbalta .... But OMG the withdrawal is bad .... Headaches, dizziness, insomnia, dry mouth etc

Does anyone here take anti-depressants?  Did you have to go off for surgery?  Did you go back on after?  Anyone take Cymbalta?

So excited but not loving what I am going through now .... 

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

parkmanmom
on 12/16/14 12:42 pm - OH

I have been on antidepressants for years as well. I didn't have to stop my meds before or after surgery, I just had to crush them afterwards. My pharmacist said neither meds were time released so I could continue them.  I'm on Brintillex and Wellbutrin. I'm still dealing with the Brintillex making me nauseous and vomiting ever since the surgery, I never had a problem with it prior to surgery. I go for days without taking it and it's causing some issues so I need find yet another antidepressant. I don't think it's good to go without, maybe your Dr could prescribe one you could take throughout? I understand what stopping the meds can do to you, I suggest being on them after surgery as it can be a difficult time as well. I had surgery 2 months ago. Best of luck to you, I hope all goes well. It's definitely a life-changing experience, for the better.

CURVYCHIC
on 12/16/14 1:02 pm

I currently take Lomotrigine and it works well for me.Other than Wellbutin which didn't work for me,its one of the few non-weight gaining anti depressants out there.

At the time of my surgery,I was only on the 25mg starter dose,which is a tiny pill so I  didn't have to go off it.

TexasTerritory
on 12/16/14 3:55 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
My doctor allowed me to take my meds without problem. I took a dose 12 hours post-op. Good luck!

Most Active