New hope for protein success

crittemom
on 12/20/14 10:19 am

And maybe not so new to some, but I thought it might help some... Muscletech Platinum Whey is a protein supplement shake mix that has 24 grams of protein per serving (it'll be a 6 ounce serving if following directions). I use 8 ounces of water as I don't care for it so thick. It has 130 calories and 4 grams of carbs per serving, better than most of the pre-made shakes I've found. It is highly recommended by my dietician, and you can find it on Amazon.com. Sizes of containers vary, as do flavors, which are yummy. Merry Christmas everyone!

Tracy D.
on 12/22/14 12:19 am, edited 12/22/14 12:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The best protein supplement for you immediately post-op is a 100% whey protein isolate.  This doesn't qualify - it's a blend.  Immediately post-op you need 100% whey protein isolate that is quickly abosbed and can be used by the body immediately.   Whey protein blends are OK, but not ideal until much later down the line when you aren't relying on them primarily for all your protein needs.  

If you want to do more research on the subject you can do a "search" on here (little magnifying glass at top) for "best type of protein shake" and read the hundreds of posts about it.  I listened to people a whole lot smarter than me on this topic when I was newly sleeved.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

crittemom
on 12/22/14 4:54 am

Not so sure I said it was for immediate preop...as my dietician knows what she is talking about, I'll stick with her advice...Thanks

Tracy D.
on 12/22/14 5:04 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Honestly, no reason to get defensive...I had checked your profile and saw that you added recently to this site and I couldn't tell if you were pre-op or post-op (didn't I say immediate post-op?).  

Just offering some advice that I learned the hard way from becoming protein deficient early on through following well-meaning but bad advice from my nutritionist...who told me to stop all protein shakes 8 weeks after surgery   Not all dieticians or NUTs are as well-versed in WLS as yours.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

crittemom
on 12/22/14 5:15 am

Happy with my surgical team, and happy with you for being concerned...thanks again! And Merry Christmas!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views