Any other diabetics out there?!Type 2 Diabetes could delay my surgery

Julie81
on 12/20/14 1:42 am

I posted before that my tentative date is February 11th.. Provided that my sugars can be in good control for a month. I see my endo on Monday.. My last appt they were still too high :(. I need this surgery to help reverse the diabetes.. But the diabetes can keep me from having the surgery. What a vicious cycle!!! Anyone else have the same issues?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/20/14 2:02 am
VSG on 10/09/12

How long have you had diabetes and how do you manage the sugar levels? What are your numbers now? 

I was diagnosed about a year before my VSG and was on metformin, 500 morning and 500 evening. That kept my numbers at a reasonable, almost 'normal' levels. Plus I went low carb and exercised and yada yada...all the things you are supposed to do but can't long term. 

I went off metformin about 10 days before surgery and while the numbers spiked up pretty high immediately post op and I got a shot or two of insulin, as of three days after surgery they were normal and have been ever since and I never had to restart the metformin.

This having been said, surgery does not reverse diabetes. You will never regrow the beta cells that have already been destroyed. Surgery can put you in remission but it is not a cure and even with weight loss the disease can still come back. There are plenty of skinny diabetics out there.

It may not, and I certainly hope that mine doesn't and hope that you kick yours to the curb and never see it again! But just go into this knowing that it is not a guarantee.

good luck getting your sugar levels in a range that would be safe for you for surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mickeymantle
on 12/20/14 3:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was on 1000 metaformin twice a day slow acting insulin and byetta my fasting blood levels were 120 my a1c 6.2 at the start by surgery time my a1c was 5.8

after surgery I was taken off insulin and byetta just metaformin and my a1c went to 6.2 but after 6 months was back at 5.8

fasting bloods levels 90-110

you might need different meds to control your sugar pre op

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Julie81
on 12/20/14 3:11 am

I am on 100 units of levemir twice a day.. Sliding scale of novolog with meals. Just switched from byetta to bydoreon. I stopped taking metformin because I didn't feel like it was helping and the pills were really hard to swallow. My A1c is a 9.3. My surgeon said he will still operate with a high alc but my sugars need to be in good control for a month. Mine are in good control for a hour. I've been type 2 for 4.5 years. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/20/14 3:22 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Hmmm sounds like you need to speak with your endo and change something in your treatment regiment. I don't have the experience with uncontrolled type 2. may I ask, have you considered the DS as opposed to the sleeve? The DS surely is a more complex surgery and requires a vitamin and supplement committment from the patient that is much more onerous than the post op life following the sleeve, but the DS has a 98% success rate in stopping diabetes in its tracks. There are many other advantages (and disadvantages) and its worth researching and discussing with a DS surgeon.

how much weight do you want to lose? The DS is also a very powerful surgery in terms of weight loss and keeping it off.

there is a DS forum here on OH and some long time vets still hang out on the main forum also. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

hollykim
on 12/20/14 3:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM Pacific Time, Julie81 wrote:

I posted before that my tentative date is February 11th.. Provided that my sugars can be in good control for a month. I see my endo on Monday.. My last appt they were still too high :(. I need this surgery to help reverse the diabetes.. But the diabetes can keep me from having the surgery. What a vicious cycle!!! Anyone else have the same issues?

what are you eating? Lots of carbs? Lean and green might do the most for getting your level in. Order to have surgery.

Julie81
on 12/20/14 8:32 am

I eat a lot of protein and veggies but I still have some carbs :(. My surgeon doesn't do the DS.. He did recommend RNY.. But it had never been an option for me. I'm scared of the vitamin deficany and mal absorption. The vsg is a good middle ground. 

MsBatt
on 12/20/14 10:27 pm

Well, you have to decide which is the most important to you---resolving your diabetes or taking a lot of vitamins and minerals.

In your shoes, *I* would consult with a surgeon who actually does the DS. The resolution rate with the RNY is about 85%---for the first five years or. With the DS, it's 98+%, and seems to be permanent.

It's much, much easier to change surgeons NOW and gt the best surgery FOR YOU, than it is to get a revision later.

Julie81
on 12/21/14 12:01 am

I'm not even familiar with the DS. What is it exactly? This is my third hospital and none of them have offered it.

Most Active