HELP! Gained 20 lbs back and can't get back on track.

MeSkinny8
on 1/21/15 1:27 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm a little over two years post op and had a great weight loss.  However, over the summer I've gained weight little by little and now it's up to a 20 pound weight gain.  I'm so frustrated with myself as I've already lost those 20 pounds.  I know I got off track over the summer.  I've tried to lose these 20 pounds again but can't so I'm looking for options.  I remember seeing something about a jump start pouch test -- what is that?  Any suggestions on how to shed these 20 pounds again?

Gwen M.
on 1/21/15 1:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The good news is, you've done this before and you can do it again!  And it's only 20 pounds this time.

If you aren't already, start by logging everything you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal.  That will show you what you're doing and what you need to change.  From there, work on getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

You don't need a "5 day pouch test," it's nothing more than a fad diet and you should be focused on sustainable lifestyle change so that you can get this 20 pounds off and keep it off.  You got this! 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 1/21/15 2:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yeah, I didn't think that was super relevant to point out, but it's true.  We have sleeves.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 1/21/15 2:05 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I was just saying because one the pouch test is such a scam and two even it did work we don't have a pouch. Just my own stupid input.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/21/15 4:21 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

^^^^   What Gwen said.

I've been struggling with weight gain over the holidays.  Last night I came up with a plan to grade myself from A to F on how I follow my program that day.  An A would be for getting enough protein, tracking everything I eat, drinking at least 80 ounces of water, exercising and limiting carbs.  Grades would fall depending on which goals I miss that day.  

It's a small mind game to play with myself right now to keep me motivated as am highly competitive.  We'll see how it goes.

p.s. Yesterday was an "A"  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

faylavi
on 1/21/15 2:18 am - Laurel, MD

I too am in the 20plus pound club...and not happy to be there. I added min of 2 unjury shakes to my day, starting Monday. I am think of going to 3 tomorrow to further cut cravings.  Good luck.  I will send you a friend request, maybe we can help each other.

Fay

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

momsy55
on 1/21/15 2:24 am - ME

I'm in the same boat.  First, I came back here and began reading and contibuting, which has helped put my mind back in the place it needs to be.  For me, being present and honest is so important.  You've taken that step, which I think is the hardest.  I also have gone back to what I did during the losing phase.  Just as someone else pointed out, protein and fluids are first, and I've stopped eating all of the refined carbs I had let sneak back into my daily life.  I'm also trying to use the other tools - eating slowly, waiting at least 30 minutes between eating and drinking (and vice versa), keeping track of what I put in my mouth, etc.  It's been tough, but each day has gotten a bit easier, as I re-establish my boundaries with food.  Another resource is the WLS program NUT, who can help to get folks back on track, if that is available to you.  One thing I got away from and need to do again is get back to support groups.  I know, for me, that even if I look normal on the outside, I'm never going to be normal in my head where food is concerned.  Not using the tools and resources available to me got me back into some bad habits that, if left unchecked, would have lead back to where I used to be.  I feel blessed that I didn't have to go back so far that I couldn't find my way out.  Good luck to you!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

MeSkinny8
on 1/21/15 2:26 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Gwen you're a rock star!!!  Thank you so much for the advice.  I'm printing and posting on my fridge.  Thanks again.  And, yes that's a great idea to be friends helping one another get back on track.  YOU"RE my new accountability partner.  Nice to meet all of you guys.

stephanieplum
on 1/21/15 3:01 am, edited 1/21/15 8:59 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Three meals a day and no snacks doesn't work for me...do what works for you. Up your protein, cut out the unhealthy carbs, up your water and move more.  I'm trying to get some regain off, too...it's really not rocket science ****ep telling myself); I just need to get my head in the game and string more healthy day together with fewer detours.  

Most Active