day 2 with the sleeve

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/23/15 9:41 pm

Hi All, 

I was sleeved 2 days ago (Jan 22). It went great. I am thrilled that the doctor was so happy with the size of my liver. He said there was scarring from the band that I had 7 years ago, but ultimately, looked great! 

I took lots of your wonderful advice with walking, trying different temps of water (and drinking lots of it). 

I am having two issues: I have the hiccups which is painful and I get that when done with any sort of liquid. I tried to mix my crushed pain pill with some liquidy apple sauce and realized it felt a lot like the band - very very tight and now it's like sharp pains there. 

Second, EXTREME gas pain. Nothing is helping. 

What are some things that helped you in this stage? Did the laxative help the gas pains? Should I not take it because my stomach is literally empty? Did ice packs help? Heating pads? 

Is that esophagus pain normal? I was throwing up in the hospital a lot and they didn't let me leave until I did that dreadful barium test and I threw up during that as well. 

Thanks for your help!

Ps I already lost 17 lbs. :)

redpanda
on 1/23/15 10:53 pm

I personally found that a lot of the gas pains went away for me after I took a laxative. I used Miralax, and mixed it with a bottle of sugar-free vitamin water that I drank throughout the day. I also found that heat helped with gas, but cold helps with incision pain.

Are you on an antacid? The esophagus pain sounds not fun. :(

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 4:26 am

I am not on an antacid. It's not a feeling like heartburn, but it very well could be. I think it's that the hernia repair is a little inflamed in the area. The laxative didn't do much. But, I keep trying afferent things! Thanks for your reply! 

Melanielw
on 1/24/15 12:49 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had my surgery the day before you did and let me just say the gas pain sucks! I m constantly burping (I guess to relieve gas) and my shoulder hurts so bad. Everyone says walking helps so that's what I will do. Hang in there I am sure that the first month is prob the worst! Great job on the weightloss!

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 4:16 am

You sound SO much like me! I had a hiatal hernia repaired. I think that's what this esophagus pain is from. Could also be the old scar tissue from the band. 

I am walking a ton! All inside, but up the stairs and everything. 

the gas pain is horrendous. I am just burping and almost regurgitating a ton. My stomach feels fine during the day, but the i feel like a lava lamp. 

thank you for your post! Stay in touch and we can lose together! 

Melanielw
on 1/25/15 5:00 am
VSG on 01/21/15

No problem! Gas pains have eased up a little bit, so know that gets better!! Just think we will look back at this in a couple of months and think it's not so bad. It will all be worth it!

Amy M.
on 1/24/15 1:44 am, edited 1/24/15 1:45 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

If you're having issues taking your pain pill ask your doctor for a liquid version.  I took liquid hydrocodone and although the taste was nasty it was probably the best option for me.  

The hiccups suck.  I had them too.  Try sucking on a lemon wedge.  For me, it instantly solves my hiccup problem.  

For gas pain I just took gas-x and walked.  The worst was the shoulder pain.  But the good news is it should only last a couple days.  

I agree with above that if you're having esophagus pain then you might need a PPI.  I've been taking priolsec since 2 days after surgery.  I'd suggest talking to your surgeon.  

I also threw up before and after my leak test.  For me, it was the movement in the wheelchair from my room all the way down to the room and then the liquid they had us drink tasted awful.  Did your doctor prescribe you anti nausea meds?  If nausea is an issue for you I'd suggest also asking for something to help with that.  

Congrats on your progress so far and welcome to the loser's bench!  I wish you a speedy recovery!

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 4:20 am

Thanks, Amy! the Gas-x and walking isn't helping much, but I'm trying to sit and stand in different positions. 

I think Im getting confused between the hiatal hernia repair pain and the actual sleeve pain. Lots of burping and trying to swallow. What does PPI stand for? And did you crush up the prilosec? I may have to do that. 

I was on nausea meds every 3 hours in the hospital. I'm trying to just go slow. I'm not hungry per se, but I am getting a head ache that feels so much like what I used to get when I was hungry. 

Thanks as always for your awesome feedback and pointers. 

How long did the gas pain and burping last you? And did you notice a difference from the sleeve and hernia pain? 

Y D.
on 1/24/15 3:15 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Warm Fennel tea was very helpful for my gas.

MF_Brooklyn
on 1/25/15 4:21 am

Interesting! I will give that  try, thank you. How long did the gas bother you? 

Most Active