What about Wine?

monica37
on 1/25/15 11:54 pm - Chicago, IL

HI All...

I am scheduled for the surgery on March 2. As I get my mind prepared for the big changes that I will be facing , Im wonderinf from you all...

can you have a glass a wine or a ****tail once a week or so ?  after surgery  ( not right after but say a few months post op?  I want to be able to have a drink or two on the weekends....

Thughts?

Stacy_WLS
on 1/26/15 12:05 am

Drinking will slow down weight loss.  And will affect you much more.  I did enjoy some wine after a couple of months.  Now I have it a bit more frequently.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

monica37
on 1/26/15 12:12 am - Chicago, IL

Cool.. Im not planning on drinking initally but I was wondering in general.. like by the time summer comes around , will I be able to have some wine on the weekends... Great !  thanks 

Superchunk77
on 1/26/15 12:15 am

My doctor said absolutely nothing alcoholic for the first year and even then why? The first year is so critical, why would you want to do something that will work against you.  Trust me I would love a nice glass of Amorone. 

Gwen M.
on 1/26/15 12:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Alcohol is a slippery slope.  Transfer addiction is a very real issue.  Alcohol has useless calories.  Many here say that you should only start drinking when you want to stop losing weight.  

My surgeon says no alcohol for the first year post-op.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Caribou_in_a_box
on 1/26/15 12:59 am

I have found that alcohol is really a trigger for me.  I tend to have a few drinks in the evenings after work, and then start munching on the food.  Bad habit I know!  Especially since I have noticed my consumption climbing over the past couple years

This New Years I decided to give up alcohol for a year.  I will be sleeved in May.  I am very worried about transfer addictions, as well as the calories that go with the alcohol and so I am not even sure if I will decide to drink alcohol after the year is over.

LK85
on 1/26/15 2:14 am
VSG on 12/30/14

I'm in the same boat... when I drink more than 1-2 adult beverages I become ravenous, and it's not for dense protein and veggies...

As other's have mentioned, alcohol can sabotage weight loss and lead to an alternative addiction.

Not worth it in my opinions.

nursebonnie
on 1/26/15 1:20 am
VSG on 08/19/14

What is your physicians plan? That is what we are to follow. It does not matter what anyone else's plan allows or disallows.

Mine allows for alcohol after 4 months. We are warned about cross addictions, empty calories and it may slow or stop weight loss.

Personally I have one or two glasses of wine a week. My weight loss has been stair step loss, but continues.

Ask your surgeon.

Bonnie

Tracy D.
on 1/26/15 2:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

This is the problem I have with drinkning post-sleeve:  you can't drink while you're eating or immediately after eating, so basically you are drinking on an empty stomach, either before your meal or inbetween meals.  And tat's not a sometimes thing, that's a forever thing.  

Drinking on an empty stomach makes me get tipsy WAY faster. I would definitely wait until you are in maintenance and then make sure you are in a safe place and surrounded by people you know before doing it the first time.  You just can't predict how you'll react.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mickeymantle
on 1/26/15 4:05 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

wasted calories  also risk of becoming an  alcoholic 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active