Water with meals

elatedelaine
on 1/29/15 12:46 am

I need some clarification from you guys please...I am 10 weeks out today from having VSG.  I have had no problems at all, have lost 26 lbs and feel a bit better already. I usually don't get more than 64 ozs of water in and a maximum of 60 grms of protein most days.  I need to lose about 47 lbs more.  At my last check-up visit with the surgeon, or rather his assistant :(, she told me that drinking water with my meals was up to me, that some people can handle it and some can't.  Is there a real reason to not drink water with the meals?  I think I had a great surgeon do my surgery but they don't know a thing about nutrition or the rules for this so I have had to go to message boards like this one and learn as I go.  I didn't even have to do a special pre-op diet plan...Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! 

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 12:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Please read this post and know that drinking with meals is NEVER a good idea.  You will see why...sure, there are people who figure out how to do it.  Like my SIL...who has blown through two WLS, never lost all her weight and is now going back up to over 300 lbs.  Yup - she drinks with all her meals.  Worth it?  No way! 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric -Valve-Basics-101-re-post/

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

elatedelaine
on 1/29/15 1:05 am

Thank you so much for this information!

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 1:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thank Frisco when you see him on here.  His explanation really helped me "get it".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

MAchick
on 1/29/15 1:06 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I drink before my meals, but I don't do it during or right after. I can't. I've forgotten and taken a few sips, and instantly feel like my stomach is going to explode. I do occasionally have soup, but that's a bit different for me.

Drinking will help wash down the food in your stomach, or it will bring the food right back up. The thing is, why try to wash the food down?? Your stomach will stay fuller longer, and those hunger receptors will be kept at bay.

I just had my one-year surgiversary, and I still have to tell my husband, "Sorry. I don't drink with my meals".

You're not at a bad place with your water and protein. Those numbers were the minimum requirements for my program. Take it easy, and don't try to rush things.

momsy55
on 1/29/15 1:15 am - ME

The post from Cisco that Tracy put in her message is a great description of what happens.  I accidently tested out drinking too soon after eating once (I'd miscalculated how much time had gone by), and I have never done it again.  It was pure will that kept me from vomiting, but I was in distress for awhile there!  My NUT also said that we should avoid eating too soon after drinking, as well, as, until the fluids leave the stomach, you can't eat your full (plan) meal and may deprive your body of needed nutrients from that meal.  I've also found that if I eat too soon after drinking, I can't eat as much but want to eat more later, setting up the old thought patterns of "I ate very little at dinner, so I can eat now" and ending up eating more than what I would have had if I'd just waited a bit more.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

emelar
on 1/29/15 1:25 am - TX

As early out as you are, it's likely to be downright uncomfortable to drink either before or after meals.  Uncomfortable as in "you're likely to hurl."

Farther out, you'll probably be able to drink before meals.  I know I can.  But I still wait hours after meals to drink, both because it's uncomfortable and to give the food in my stomach a chance to break down before moving through to my gut.  Drinking while eating is a bad move.  The food may come up.  But, more important, the food won't stay in your stomach long enough to be broken down for absorption in your small intestine. 

wyo_sarah
on 1/29/15 1:49 am

My doc actually said to only wait 5 minutes after drinking to eat and 5 minutes after eating to drink.  However, I wait at least an hour after eating, sometimes more.

Tracy D.
on 1/29/15 2:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Are you absolutely certain you didn't misunderstand what your doctor said??   I get the drinking up to 5 minutes before eating.  But I don't know of anyone who was advised they can start drinking 5 minutes after eating!  It's almost a physical impossibility    And all of the medical information online advocates drinking 30-60 minutes after meals.  

wyo_sarah
on 1/30/15 12:41 am

I'm sure.  I've read it in more than one place.  But, I've never tried it.

Most Active