First appointment, confused, hiatal hernia route?

cdaisy76
on 1/29/15 12:36 pm, edited 1/29/15 4:22 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I went to my very first appointment with True Results two days ago. I found out my insurance doesn't cover surgeries for people with BMI under 40.   So the patient advocate asked me a few questions and she suspected I have a hiatal hernia, because I do have acid reflux sometimes and get nauseated at night, plus I throw up occasionally. They want to send me to get a test to see if I have one. They said 90% of people they send to get the test end up with a positive result and qualify for a surgery to repair it. (They said an outside surgeon would be doing the surgery, not one from True Results)   They said they "couple" these surgeries together and bill the insurance company for the hernia repair, and pretty much throw in the sleeve for about $1900. So, I would only be out my "Maximum out of pocket" expense for the year through my insurance ($3000 + $1900 for VSG) I wondered if anyone else has went this route?    They sent me to get a blood test, which I did the same day, and yesterday, someone called me from a sleep center and confirmed that they would send me a machine in the mail for a sleep study. It arrived today. I don't have any major comorbidities....maybe they are checking to make sure I don't have sleep apnea. Any thoughts appreciated on the VSG/Hernia Dual Surgery.

Chrystie  

Melanielw
on 1/29/15 3:01 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I went through True Results in Ft Worth and had a great experience. The whole process from consultation to surgery took 2 months and they were very helpful with anything I needed. The patient advocate you are referring to is actually very nice. She is quick to answer questions and get any details you need. I did the hernia sleeve and what they told you is correct as far as pricing. The surgeon they will send you to is Dr. Adam Smith and I have nothing but good things to say about his office. You really don't deal with true results as much as you will deal with FT worth Lapband which is Dr. Smiths practice. I would give them a try, because like I said it was a great experience for me. 

mickeymantle
on 1/29/15 3:22 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sounds like your not happy with them

I would see a different surgeon , you need one your comfortable with , you will be seeing them a lot for a long time

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

sds0029
on 1/30/15 10:51 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I went to True Results Richardson, Tx and I have been really pleased.  Once I selected my surgeon everything shifts to the surgeons office.  If you are worried cime east and go with Dr Nicholson he is wonderful .  

Melanielw
on 1/30/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 01/21/15

I went through Ft Worth True Results but they actually did my surgery in Richardson. Was your procedure also an in and out procedure or did you stay for a couple of days? I had mine at the Baylor Surgicare Center of Richardson. 

Hislady
on 1/30/15 2:15 pm - Vancouver, WA

Run for your life True Results has more complaints than any WLS outfit in the country. Google True Results scam and it will fill you in on all the sordid details. My  friend went to one in Georgia and they screwed here every way there was to do it. They tell you all kinds of things up front and then don't follow thru. What they are doing is insurance fraud and when they are caught so are you. You could have to pay the insurance company back for the cost of the surgery. Why would you consider being an accomplise to a crime?

Melanielw
on 1/31/15 12:16 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I did lots of research online before I did this surgery and found more positive then negative when it came to True Results. Have you actually ever delt with them? If not then you shouldn't believe everything you read. Also, I don't see how they could accuse you of insurance fraud when what was submitted to insurance was performed. Every surgery facility has good and bad. 

babygirl73
on 2/1/15 6:03 am, edited 2/1/15 6:07 am - Hampton, GA

Actually the previous poster HISLADY is right. I haven't googled them under scams but on various forums some of the reviews have been less than good. To your other point I am actually dealing with them now (had appt on Thurs) and I got an uneasy feeling at my first consultation when they brought up the hiatal hernia surgery. The only reason I was going through them was because I wanted a particular surgeon and I saw the $4900 cost, and I thought GREAT I can get who I want and the price was more than affordable. Little did I know this special price was only good in TX and only when getting hernia repair. 

The patient advocate, seemed less than thrilled to deal with me when I asked about other options besides the hernia repair. Seems to be thats the thing they push cause they can bill your insurance, because some insurance won't pay for bariatric surgery.  I then started to actually consider the TX route because the price was less and I would still get a qualified surgeon. She was supposed to send me information on both options the items covered in going to TX and what was covered to have the procedure done. I waited and waited and never got that information. I called the local GA office 4 times over 10 days to get more information and no one called me back. It wasn't until I called the corporate office did they have someone from GA call me back. This was a huge issue for me because I hate lack of service (and you are suppose to be health professionals) and it puts a bad taste in my mouth. I want to have the surgery but I have to be 100% sure and comfortable and that means asking a lot of questions which I believe they are not used to.

I decided to go anyway to the appt because although the staff was not that great and service was terrible, the surgeon is what matters not the office staff. After going in for a 2nd visit I had another patient advocate that gave me completely different information. I started questioning the ethics of TR because it appears that they are practicing some insurance manipulation. I was told on the 1st visit about 1 surgeon, over the phone to set up the 2nd appt I was told it was a different surgeon and days later at the appt I was given yet another surgeons name.  At the rate they are going, who knows what surgeon might show up on the actual date. I had already decided before to not to go for the less expensive TX route because I wanted a particular surgeon that only does it GA, and after them changing between 3 TX surgeons I knew that was a RED FLAG and to go with my gut.

I still was willing to deal with them because I knew the surgeon was top-rate but I asked the advocate about self-pay pricing in comparison to going to the other practice, and she volunteered to call and get their pricing. When she told me their price was $4K more than TR I said ok I will stick with you guys. I actually called the private practice myself when I left the office and found out the price was exactly the same. That was the final straw to not deal with them, I don't know whether it was intentional or just a mistake but I can't risk money or health and they just don't have it together. I am actually going to switch to the original surgeon in GA through his private practice he is an excellent surgeon, his practice is more professional and I met him at a seminar years ago. 

I would rather pay twice as much and get the best care and feel comfortable than to put my life in the hands of someone I don't know or have confidence in at a place far away from home. I was told from the surgeons office to stay away from TR because people always complain and several people have left and prefer them over TR. You have to think there is something seriously wrong when a corporate company offers you a special deal but you can only have it honored in one place.

Sorry so long but I wanted to give the full story

Melanielw
on 2/1/15 6:47 am
VSG on 01/21/15

The complaints I see online are from the offices not in Texas. Like I said I had to issues so I am not going to bad talk a place I had no issues with. I can see why your experience was bad and I wish that whoever helped you at TR could of given you a better experience. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views