Have gained back all weight

guthsj
on 1/30/15 4:39 am - St. Clair, MO

Walk of shame, I am 18 months post op and have gained all my wt back after the vertical sleeve.  The sad thing is I gained it all back easily, no pain, not full, can eat anything.  I will take whatever you all give me for responses.  I am severely depressed but also need guidance as to where to start or if there is anything I can do to get back on track.....or have I just completely re-stretched my stomach...and wasted the surgery.....

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 4:56 am

I'm so sorry, when did you have the surgery, what do you think happened, how can we be of help to you. You say you are severely depressed, is it meds that made you regain the wt? Let us know what to do for you. You had this surgery for a reason I assume to get healthy, well, let's get a program going for you. ok chin up

guthsj
on 1/30/15 5:00 am - St. Clair, MO

Thanks for the reply, the surgery was 9/2013.  I started off doing very well, was down almost 50 punds, felt great, as I advanced my caloried, I started slipping back into my old habits and started putting the wt back on.  I am not on any meds, just....food.....I am depressed due to the wt gain, and of course my answer is to just eat more...I am really wondering if thereis a way to salvage this or have I ruined the surgery and will not able to have the results I did as a post op pt.  Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 5:26 am

Ok now I understand, you failed your surgery, your surgery didn't fail you. Ok let's get on program and I will help as much as you want. I am a personal trainer, my wt gain is related to meds that I must take rather than poor eating. I'm the girl that gets thrown out of the gym.

Ok. let's prioritize. Get rid of the junk in your house. Get your vitamins and protein supplements out and ready to go. Go back to more liquids, 64oz water, walk 1 mile for 3 days, 1 day off, walk 2 miles the next 3 days, 1 day off. Start strength training at least 3 times per week. Do you recall the pain and discomfort you felt first out of surgery? Remember it everytime you think you wanna eat something not on plan. Write it down b4 you bite it. and pray. It will work if you work  it. What are you gonna do, have another surgery for a smaller tummy. NO. It's behavorial. get in it girl. seek me/friend me anytime. Wish me luck, my sleeve is 2/12 hugs to you. this  is just my opinion, Iam not a doctor/therapist. this is what I would do, go back to basics. What do the rest of you  all think?

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/15 5:04 pm - UK
On January 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM Pacific Time, maandme wrote:

Ok now I understand, you failed your surgery, your surgery didn't fail you. Ok let's get on program and I will help as much as you want. I am a personal trainer, my wt gain is related to meds that I must take rather than poor eating. I'm the girl that gets thrown out of the gym.

Ok. let's prioritize. Get rid of the junk in your house. Get your vitamins and protein supplements out and ready to go. Go back to more liquids, 64oz water, walk 1 mile for 3 days, 1 day off, walk 2 miles the next 3 days, 1 day off. Start strength training at least 3 times per week. Do you recall the pain and discomfort you felt first out of surgery? Remember it everytime you think you wanna eat something not on plan. Write it down b4 you bite it. and pray. It will work if you work  it. What are you gonna do, have another surgery for a smaller tummy. NO. It's behavorial. get in it girl. seek me/friend me anytime. Wish me luck, my sleeve is 2/12 hugs to you. this  is just my opinion, Iam not a doctor/therapist. this is what I would do, go back to basics. What do the rest of you  all think?

Meds can predispose you to gain weight but you need, before you have your surgery, to accept that however many meds you take, the simple equation is calories in versus calories out. Meds just mean your required input is lower. As a personal trainer you will already know this. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 9:45 pm

girl u are preaching to the choir. Never ever had a wt  problem, I was and still am the girl everybody wants to look like in the gym, and they wish they were as strong as I so bye, I know what  I'm talkn about

(deactivated member)
on 1/30/15 9:49 pm

until meds. girl bye

Amy R.
on 1/31/15 4:02 am

maandme, could you please answer the questions that have been asked of you?  If you are in such great shape and a role model at the gym, you may not need surgery and may just be suffering from body dysmorphia.  I think some legitimate concerns have been raised because the BMI that qualifies individuals for surgery seems to be getting lower and lower.  How much weight do you need to lose?

Also,  don't know if you're aware, but if you only have a small amount to lose there is a "Lightweights" board here on OH that you may like.  Check it out at: WLS Lightweights  =)

Gwen M.
on 1/31/15 1:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Okay.  I'm super confused.  If you've never had a weight problem, why on earth are you having weight loss surgery?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/31/15 2:10 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On January 31, 2015 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, maandme wrote:

girl u are preaching to the choir. Never ever had a wt  problem, I was and still am the girl everybody wants to look like in the gym, and they wish they were as strong as I so bye, I know what  I'm talkn about

I'm very confused here.  Did you have lap band surgery and only lost 20 lbs?  Now you're scheduled for a VSG?  Yet you say that every girl at the gym wants to look like you.

Could you please share your weight stats to help me better understand?  For example,  what is your highest weight?  What is your current weight?   What is your goal weight? What is your BMI?

It's helpful to share with everyone on a support forum.  You are anonymous so you can be honest.  No judgment here.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active