Acid and the Sleeve

lianna
on 1/30/15 11:18 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I had heartburn way back... a decade ago.   The Tums on the beside table heartburn.  Lapband totally eliviated it.  For 10 years no heartburn.  Even a slipped band, and I never had it. I had my band removed and I have had horrible heartburn and reflux.  Just like it used to be.   How will the sleeve affect this?  I have a friend getting bypass because of this, and one getting sleeve with this.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/30/15 12:28 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You should probably check with your dr. I had heartburn & I got the sleeve, but my gerd was very,very mild & it was probably caused by the hiatal hernia that I didn't even know I had till I was scoped. This problem was fixed during surgery & I don't have to take a ppi anymore.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

lianna
on 2/2/15 6:46 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I have heard that a hernia can cause this, but to me it seems like he would have identified a hernia when he was in there removing my lapband.  I feel like it is related to the extra weight I have put on, at least I am hoping that is all.

November18
on 1/30/15 10:03 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Talk to your surgeon. Mine did not recommend sleeve if you had acid reflux. I never had any problems with this so I was able to get sleeved. Good luck!

Bonnie

lianna
on 2/2/15 6:51 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

This has only been a problem for a few weeks, today is the 3rd day in a row I have taken Prilosec and I have been heartburn free all day.  I am hoping this is temporay, because I haven't had bouts of heartburn like this in a decade.

Valerie G.
on 1/31/15 12:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Sleeve is known for causing reflux, which is why many docs recommend RNY if you already have GERD.  That being said, it's no guarantee.  I know many who's gERD was weight-related, and lost their GERD with their weight with sleeve stomachs.  It's a bit of a crapshoot, but the odds are against you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

lianna
on 2/2/15 7:02 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

Yes, I was talking to a lady I work with that is about to have bypass due to GERD.  She has had it for years and her Dr. recommends bypass for her.  She said her symptoms were much more severe and longterm than what I describe. I don't think I actually have GERD, I have only been having this nasty heartburn about 2 weeks... it is not normal for me.  I read something about Gerd being anti sleeve friendly and it freaked me out!  Thanks for the reply.

Melanielw
on 1/31/15 12:28 am
VSG on 01/21/15

I had horrible acid reflux before I had the sleeve and my surgeon suspected I had a hiatal hernia. He said that is one of the main symptoms and the fact I was overweight. He checked and sure enough I did have a large hiatal hernia. He said once he fixed that then I would no longer have the reflux after I had the sleeve surgery. That might be something you look into. 

lianna
on 2/2/15 7:09 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

Thanks Melanie!  I will definitely let him know so we can rule this out. (or fix it)

AK_Gipson
on 1/31/15 5:25 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Definitely talk to your doc. I had very mild acid reflux before the sleeve. But now 10 months out I have extreme pain from what they think is very very bad acid. I  fell like I'm having a heart attack when it hits. I have to have an EGD done and a 2 day moniter of the acid in my stomach. If it is as bad as they think I will have to be revised to the Rny. But my new pounch will only hold about 1.5 ounces instead of the 3 I can hold now :( 

again, please talk to your doctor about the acid. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Most Active