Water weight- don't let it mess with you!

happyteacher
on 2/19/15 9:10 pm

For Valentines my husband got me a 36 ounce container of my very favorite chocolates on the planet. in a period of 2 days I ate probably 7/10s of the container- and that is a LOT even for my former fatty days. Obviously I gained. I finally forced myself to weight and couldn't believe the impact- I was 5 pounds over goal weight. (I normally stay 5-10 pounds under.) I immediately went into weight loss mode and hit the gym to the extent I am cleared for. 3 days later I am down 8 pounds. This is not a loss of fat people- I never lose that fast. It is a lot of water retention sloughing off. I am still thick in the middle and have a few pounds to pull off so weight loss mode will stay for a bit. But I just wanted to post to let newer folks know that the number on the scale can increase even if you are doing everything right due to fluctuations in water weight. And they can really increase if you follow a self-destructive path like I did there for a few days. Don't play ostrich, and don't freak out. Just get back to plan! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tracy D.
on 2/20/15 12:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sugar and other simple carbs are notorious for creating almost-instant inflammation in the body.  And that always leads to lots of water retention.  

I guess it kind of makes sense if you think about it.  What's the best way to put out a fire?  With water!    And if the body believes it's "on fire" then it would naturally want to hold on to every ounce of water it can get.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active