Another reason VSG is better than RNY...

Beatriz
on 2/26/15 9:23 am

I'm not a doctor, and I am just stating my opinion, but I keep in touch with a bunch of ladies from the class we had to take. I know it can happen with a VSG, but one of the ladies had a leak. It actually affected her heart and she is still in the hospital.  

It made me think- with the VSG, they can put air in the sleeve and look for bubbles for a leak. With the RNY, they can't access the stomach to use air bubbles to detect a leak- and they also have lot more connections where they have to worry about a leak. We only have that one seam. Anyway, feeling happy to have gotten through my procedure so far complication free (knock on wood!) I love my sleeve!!

Height: 5'4".    VSG 2/23/15

HW: 257--SW: 237--CW: 207  

The Salty Hag
on 2/26/15 9:53 am
RNY on 05/20/13

One surgery is not nesseccarily "better" than another, but I do believe that a specific type may benefit a person better over a different surgery. For instance, VSG was not possible for me because of my GERD. 

RNY has been a great fit for me, and I'm very happy to have had it. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Beatriz
on 2/26/15 10:03 am

I agree Audrey, it's a very personal decision for everyone. I posted in the VSG forum so as not to offend anyone. 

I was struggling with deciding between the two and previously posted before the procedure questioning my decision.  The statistics still say the RNY has overall better results. 

I think I just like reaffirming my decision. ;)

csamh
on 2/26/15 11:06 am

They check for leaks intra-operative with the RNY as they do the sleeve.  Since they are done laproscopic the air bubbles are easily seen, most us bakers tube for the leak test.  As with any anastomosis there is always a risk for leaks, with the VSG there is a staple line where the stomach is removed. 

Beatriz
on 2/26/15 11:30 am

Interesting. How do they do the leak test without getting into the stomach to release gas?

hollykim
on 2/26/15 12:16 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Pacific Time, Beatriz wrote:

Interesting. How do they do the leak test without getting into the stomach to release gas?

gas is not put into the "stomach". It is put into the abdominal cavity. I

gas is not put into the sleeve either. Is also put into the abdominal cavity that surrounds all the internal organs. 

The RNY pouch can be scoped just like the sleeve can be scoped. The remnant stomach is what cannot be scoped. 

Beatriz
on 2/26/15 12:29 pm

I was trying to figure out how to delete my original post and can't find out how. I didn't mean to stir the pot- I thought I was posting in the VSG forum. 

That is what I meant- obviously the stomach remnant can also leak- it still produces acids. And it was explained to me that the way they do the leak test is by releasing air/gas in the sleeve and looking for bubbles inside. 

My most humble apologies to those who did not like my post. If you know how I can delete it and want to share that knowledge, I will be more than happy to take it down. 

jenorama
on 2/26/15 12:54 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

No worries about deleting! You made your decision and are happy with it!  Go on with your smaller self!

Jen

Beatriz
on 2/27/15 5:08 am

Thanks. :)

Racewalker48
on 2/26/15 1:07 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I am not sure you need to delete anything.  I think you did post in the VSG forum.  I had RNY and read the VSG forum too, as do many of u RNYers.   When I had my RNY, my surgeon tested for leaks by using methylene blue dye.  He put it directly into my new pouch and checked for leaks from the anastomosis.  I also had to do a leak test post op where I drank contrast while standing up and a radiologist took pictures of my new anatomy.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views