Surgical alteration of the stomach and upper intestine....

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/15 9:00 pm

I have read that "patients with a tendency to ‘graze’ (eat small amounts frequently) are better served by weight loss operations that limit food absorption (typically in bypassing sections of the intestines). People who tend to eat large meals (volume eaters), may be better served with gastric restriction (decreasing the size of the stomach). "   What is your opinion?

Valerie G.
on 2/26/15 9:28 pm, edited 2/26/15 9:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

We can always control how frequently we eat, so I think the problem is more than just that. 

Those who simply feel no satiety, never feeling full until it's too late, may do well with restriction like the sleeve or lap band. 

Those who can diet like a champ yet still get little or no results probably need more than to eat less (because they can already do that), so they will not get the same results with the sleeve or lap band.  These are the people who want that combination approach.  That change in absorption also kick-starts the body's metabolism into full-gear where they can finally see results.  I represent this example, btw.  I graze because I need to in order to eat 100g of protein and avoid needing the dreaded protein drinks.

We know our own history better than any surgeon, which is why they want us to select the desired procedure ourselves most of the time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/15 9:37 pm

I'm very grateful for the reply. Thank you so much Valerie.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/26/15 11:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Grazing will defeat ANY surgery. Drinking calories will defeat ANY surgery. Eating lots of refined carbs will defeat ANY surgery. ALL surgeries offer restriction.

The metabolic component of all surgeries, except the band, are more important than restriction or small temporary malabsorption. But most important, by far, is getting your head screwed on straight.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/15 12:30 am

Thank you very much for the response. It is greatly appreciated and I completely agree with you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views