Question about the Sleeve

mwpwlw1971
on 2/27/15 10:03 pm

Hi! I was banded in May of 2010. Honestly, I've had issues for 4 of the 5 years that I've had it. It was either too tight or too loose. I recently had a Endoscopy and a Barium Swallow which showed a slip in my band. So, needless to say, I am going to have to have it fixed. That being said, I have heard more and more about the Sleeve and how great it is. I'm thinking I might not want to have the Band anymore and if I have to have surgery anyway, maybe the Sleeve is the way to go. My question(s) is: Is there anyone that has had the Band, had problems and then did the Sleeve and what was your experience? Even if you know of someone that has had both; those comments are welcome also. I just feel so defeated and upset and need some guidance.

Thanks!

Sandy M.
on 2/27/15 10:35 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You'll get lots of responses - many of us went from the band to the sleeve for the same reasons you're contemplating it.  

I'm extremely happy that I went the sleeve route - no more "stuck" feelings, no more vomiting in public restrooms, no more visits to the surgeon for fills and unfills.  Talk to your surgeon about your options; if they don't do anything other than the band, find another surgeon.  I almost cry when I see folks going back in for second surgeries to replace the band - what a nightmare!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

mwpwlw1971
on 2/27/15 10:46 pm

Thanks Sandy! One more question..... What about NSAIDS (Motrin, Aspirin, etc.)? Can people with Sleeve's take them? As I'm searching the forums, some say you can and others say NO WAY!

Sandy M.
on 2/27/15 11:09 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I think you'll get lots of opinions on that as well!  I was told no NSAIDs for the first year; mainly to let my stomach heal.  The good news is that I no longer have the need for daily Motrin since I lost the weight.  As you get healthier, especially if you put some strength training in the mix, there's less of those achy joints to deal with.  

I take Aleve occasionally with no ill effect.  That being said, it's always good to follow the advice of a professional!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Gwen M.
on 2/28/15 3:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The ASMBS advises that no WLS patient take NSAIDs.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 2/27/15 10:49 pm

Banded in 2004. Nothing but a lot of trouble (same as you: too tight or too loose) and no weight loss; in fact, I gained 50 more pounds. Had the band removed and a VSG performed (band-to-sleeve revision) about 4 weeks ago. Have lost 30 pounds from my high weight so far. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks, so almost certainly more than 30 pounds lost by now. 

I will say that getting sleeved is not to be taken lightly. I'm still in the healing phase, and am having trouble getting in enough liquids and food. This is a temporary stage, but it is difficult. If I could choose again, however, I would choose the sleeve.

Best of luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

lianna
on 2/27/15 11:02 pm, edited 2/27/15 11:03 pm - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I wish I had done the Sleeve in the first place.  I had lapband done in 05 and was very successful with it for years... until it all went south.  A total unfill righted my band, but once slippage occurs it seems to be more likely to be disposed to slip again.  I then spent years on a fill, unfill cycle and constantly being stuck, sliming, and vomiting.  Several more years with a slipped unfilled band that still caused sliming and vomiting, even while I was steadily gaining back all the weight I had lost.  I had my band removed in October 2014 and the surgeon said there was such a mess of scar tissue and adhesions that he couldn't do a revision to Sleeve at that time.  So here I am going forward with my 3rd surgery to finally get the Sleeve.  My brother-in-law, a niece, and 5 ladies I work with all have the Sleeve so I really got some practical advice, and did further research, before deciding that the Sleeve was the best longterm/lifetime option for me.  I never once considered having my band replaced.  In fact, I feel like I have wasted 10 years of fighting with the band only to have it removed.

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

philly2dc
on 2/27/15 11:54 pm

I was banded 2008 and lost 100 pounds I loved my band until I had a baby and it slipped. My doctor automatically recommened the sleeve. So in January I went for my surgery and when I woke up they had ONLY removed my band and had not done the sleeve. My stomach was so inflammed from the slippage of the bad that he did not want to take any chances with doing my sleeve. I will be getting my sleeve done March 25th and I can't wait. Now my best friend had a band in 2009 and hers just never worked she was recently was sleeved December 19th and is down 40 pounds and is loving life right now.

spuddzy
on 2/28/15 1:55 am - NY

to your question. I also got banded 2010 had a slip. after going to surgeon decided to have VSG. I did dec. 15,2014 and couldn't be anymore happier. lost 37 lbs. Have no problems and eat stuff that always got stuck with band no matter how I tried. do your research you will be surprise to see how many people that are removing bands cause of problems and have sleeve...You won't regret it. and my insurance covered everything ...Good luck....

spuddzy

Meghan704
on 2/28/15 4:42 am
VSG on 06/16/15

My friend was banded last year and she is MISERABLE. Constantly vomiting and feeling like she is choking on food. She has actually gained weight as well. How? I have no idea since she always feels sick. She is already trying to get a sleeve revision. I am in the process of getting the VSG approved as well. The surgeon I am seeing won't even do the band anymore because of the low success rates and how many revisions he sees. He actually came out and told me he would never put a band on a loved one even if they desperately needed to lose weight and it was the only option, that's how bad he sees them. He said he has not had 1 patient regret a revision. Not 1. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views