What do you keep track of in your diet?

Starlene02
on 3/1/15 1:46 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I haven't had my surgery yet but I'm just trying to be prepared. I had planned on monitoring my intake of protein, sugar, calories and carbs. I see so many saying that they don't keep up with what they eat since they don't eat much anyway? I'm curious to hear what everyone keeps up with. I know my nutritionist will guide me through my process but I'm still curious as to what everyone else's game plans are. How much of everything you are allowed to have and how often you work out and when you started your work outs?

If you feel like quitting, think of why you started.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/1/15 2:30 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I tried to keep track of protein, carbs and calories. I say tried because it is really far from being an exact science even with a tool like MyFitnessPal. I exercised for the first year after surgery then I had plastics and lost momentum, but keep trying to get back into it. Its not critical for weight loss but good for you health wise.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Starlene02
on 3/1/15 2:39 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

Thanks for your response. You are a couple years past surgery now, how long did it take you to meet your goal and what types of exercise did you do when you were exercising? I have an elliptical that I'll probably use more than anything. I honestly have no intention of joining a gym since I have equipment at home. Are you able to maintain it very well?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/1/15 3:42 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

It took a little over a year and a half. I am of the moderation camp so I did not go all out to lose in the first six months. I was able to do that. Not everyone can but I was lucky I guess. I was doing the eliptical and weights pretty much 4-5 times a week for the first year. Like I said, it was not really for weight loss. It was for general health, muscle tone etc. The weight came off with what I was not eating! Yes, so far I have been able to maintain pretty much exactly the same weight and I can eat like I do now for the rest of my life with no issues. I am still in the moderation camp. 

However, I am very vigilant. I weigh every day and if even a tiny creep up creeps in I will take measures and go to dense protein and veggies. No way did I get to this point, surgery, weight loss, plastics and a new wardrobe, only to gain back. No food is worth that to me. So I keep a pretty close eye on things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

jameas
on 3/3/15 12:09 am

jULIA, i AM BACK AT STRICT STUFF PROTEIN DRINKS AND 800 CALORIES SO SAD i AM 60 SO not EXERCISES WILDLY JUST WALK 5 1/2 TO 1 MILE DAYS A WEEK, BUT i GET STUCK AT 205 JUST STAY THERE, i KNOW SWEATING WITH EXERCSE WOULD HELP RIGHT, HAVE KNEE ISSUES HATE THE POOL, SO THINKING ABOUT A PERSONAL TRAINER FOR INSIGHT ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/3/15 12:26 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I am afraid I am not the best authority on exercising or personal trainers since I am a slacker in terms of exercise and have never used a personal trainer....

Bufflehead
on 3/1/15 6:32 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I track calories, protein, carbs, fat, calcium, and fiber.

How much I am allowed to have varied depending on the phase I am in. Right now I'm at 1050 calories per day -- but I am almost 2 years out from surgery.

Exercise - my exercise has varied widely. I look at exercise as critical for good health but not necessary or even terribly important for weight loss. I was allowed to start walking immediately after surgery and cleared for all exercise at four weeks out. Right now I am working out almost every day, but earlier I would go for spells where I exercised 5x/week for a month, then didn't exercise at all for a couple of weeks.

JoeyJo
on 3/1/15 9:00 pm - NJ

I got a Jawbone UP24 before surgery and got in the habit of lodging everything I ate.   I love it.  When the original band got too big, I gave it to my son and bought myself a smaller one. 

Starlene02
on 3/1/15 11:34 pm
VSG on 11/11/15

I had to look that up. It looks like something I'd really like! I'd never heard of it before but it seems like that would make everything easier for sure! Here's the link to a Jawbone review by the way. I also watched the fitbit but it didn't record as much data as the jawbone. The fitbit only recorded calories while the jawbone recorded protein, sugar and things like that. I did like the design of the Fitbit more but was more impressed with the Jawbone's data. Thanks for that tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI4Cfdy_9KU

GooseGirl
on 3/1/15 11:43 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I put everything in my fitness pal so I have access to all sorts of data, but I truly only track my protein and fluids. I see my calories each day in MFP but I don't have a number that I have to hit or stay under. After several weeks I have an idea of the range that I am generally in and I'm fine with that. I have asked both my surgeon and my dietitian if I should be tracking things like calories, carbs or fat and on my plan they only want me tracking protein and fluids. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views