Suggested Ratios

elatedelaine
on 3/2/15 1:18 am

Hello all!

I am a little more than 3 months out and I think I've done pretty good considering I don't have a surgeon who knows a thing about nutrition and I can't afford to pay to see a NUT.  I have depended on you folks for some great advice:)  Thank you very much!  Right now, I really need to get strict about what and how much I am eating.  I have never been given amounts.  Can some of you, who had wonderful surgeons/NUTs and been successful, give me some amounts/ratios that worked for you.  I will begin using MyFitnessPal to log food/exercise and would like to set-up my limits to be what worked for others.  I only have about another 40lbs or so to lose but I need to lose it before the end of the summer.  Any help/advice you can give is greatly appreciated!  Also, can I start drinking water with a straw now?  I have sensitive teeth and it would help me drink more with a straw.

mickeymantle
on 3/2/15 1:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was always allowed to use a straw the gave me one in the hospital

I eat 800 cal 80 gm protien , 30 gm or less of carbs and 65oz of liquids or more a day

1200 mg calcium citrate divided into 3 times a day

2 multi vits

and b12drops weekly

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

elatedelaine
on 3/2/15 2:10 am

Thank you!

wyo_sarah
on 3/2/15 2:23 am

I try not to go above 1000 calories.  Most days I'm closer to 800.  I try to get at least 60 grams of protein, but I shoot for 80.  I try to stay under 40 carbs, and other than the few carbs that are naturally in a lot of foods, I try to make those carbs special.  I would rather have a very small piece of awesome chocolate than a few bites of spaghetti.  I haven't tried any of the low carb breads or tortillas.  I don't worry about fats.  I eat about 3 ounces of protein per meal and then a few bites of whatever else we're having.  I take heaps of vitamins...a multi, magnesium (my acupuncturist said it can help with sugar cravings), fish oil, B12, D, calcium and iron when I remember.

Stacy_WLS
on 3/2/15 2:24 am

I stayed about 800 calories at that time as well.  I focused on protein -- more is better tried for 80 grams / day minimum and lots of water.  Straws are really not an issue, but do avoid drinking until 30 minutes after eating.  

Carbs are a monster and keeping them low is a good thing -- I typically was

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

MF_Brooklyn
on 3/2/15 2:35 am

I asked the same thing about the straw. My NUT says it does create air and to be careful. So, I only use a straw if and only if I have issues swallowing or getting my water in. For some reason, it helps me. And if I have a small iced coffee. 

I'm a month and a half out. But, throwing my two cents in on ratios. I eat 600-800 cals a day (logged in fitness pal). I focus on the 80g of protein and when i do that, i don't have any room for anything else. I do miss salads at the moment though! and fruit. But right now there's no room. 

Also, my nutritionist is awesome and really on top of her stuff. I think there are bariatric-specific nutritionists that aren't affiliated with a doctor's office. Mine is, but then I just email her questions and she gets back to me and doesn't charge bc it's part of her work day. Only if I see her does she charge. 

I'm not personally a meat eater, but if you're looking for high prtein foods, there's a lot to be said about tofu and soy products from Morning sat, Gardein, Quorn and Boca. really delicious and low in everything else but high in protein. 

Good luck on your summer weight loss! sounds like it will all fall into place

rumpole6
on 3/2/15 2:41 am

The advice I got was keep it to 800 cals a day, get at least 60 g of protein and try for 75. And let the carbs and fat take care of themselves!

If you are not on supplements, I take 2 good multis a day. 1000mg of Calcium Citrate, 2500 mg of Vit D and B12 daily.

You can give a straw a try. I've had both success and problems with straws but if you can handle it, Its fine.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

jenn1469
on 3/2/15 3:26 am

I  have a nut but only by email and I don't see my surgon do to hes out of state. I just come on here also for questions. I have learned so much on this site. I also don't have therapist. I am 8 mos. post op and Have lost 75 pounds I have about 15 to 10 pounds to go. I feel I am doing really good. I eat under 800 cal a day and 80 gr of protein a day. Also water64 oz. hope this helps.

Jennifer

Luvmygs
on 3/2/15 5:12 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My protein goal is 64 ounces per day which is based on your height. My NUT is not concerned about calories, but wants me staying between 30-40 grams of carbs per day. The only snacking I'm allowed to have, per healthy choices, is protein shakes. You only have 40 bls to lose by summer, I'd start with not going over 35 grams of carbs daily and just make healthy choices. You can do it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views