Pre op sleep apnea

Meghan704
on 3/5/15 10:47 am
VSG on 06/16/15

i went to my pulmonologist appointment today. A requirement for surgery. I have severe sleep apnea. I have to be on a cpap for a minimum of 10 days so the machine can measure what it needs to. I was told I will not be cleared for surgery if I do not comply. I need the machine in the hospital and as I'm losing weight. In a nutshell I was told I can die in recovery and a few weeks there after if I do not use it. Has anyone else had this experience? I don't know why but I felt a little disappointed. Like this was another set back and is really scaring me. 

SpikyP L.
on 3/5/15 11:21 am - NM

I was told to go for a sleep study before my lap band. I was really upset but they said it was mandatory!!!  It's the best thing I have done for myself!!! I was always falling asleep as soon as I got in the car when I was headed out of town. I would have my eyes closed at a stop light because I was just so tired I had no idea that it was because I couldn't sleep at night. I just thought it was the to many carbs too much sugar. Months before that I went to Los Angeles  and back and I think I slept 85% of the time I don't even remember much being on the road. Get it done these people really know what they are doing!!!!

happytoloose
on 3/5/15 11:33 am

I was on cpap for ten years pre op, still am, but my auto settings have changed drastically since loosing over 100 lbs.

Soon, they may take me off of it. I stress out more about that than I did about the surgery.

Ten years is a long time, its kinda like my BLANKEY. lol

Hope I can sleep without my old friend.

I love my sleeve!

Rod

hollykim
on 3/5/15 11:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Pacific Time, Meghan704 wrote:

i went to my pulmonologist appointment today. A requirement for surgery. I have severe sleep apnea. I have to be on a cpap for a minimum of 10 days so the machine can measure what it needs to. I was told I will not be cleared for surgery if I do not comply. I need the machine in the hospital and as I'm losing weight. In a nutshell I was told I can die in recovery and a few weeks there after if I do not use it. Has anyone else had this experience? I don't know why but I felt a little disappointed. Like this was another set back and is really scaring me. 

well,yes,many ppl have been in. This situation. That is one of the reasons it is a requirement,because sleep apnea can cause fatal incidences. 

Try not to view it as a set back,just another precaution for your health. 

carimary
on 3/5/15 11:45 am

Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. The CPAC machine is a great help for this condition and the best news is that after wls it disappears.

Jamie86
on 3/5/15 12:20 pm - Union Corner NB, Canada
VSG on 03/19/15

My doctor told me that I am at a high risk so after surgery they are goi g to have to keep me in recovery till 4 30 so someone is always with me and then transfer me to the icu after for the first night. apparently if you do have undiagnosed sleep apnea the combination of that pain meds and the anesthetic still in your system makes it a lot worse.. the nurse at my pre op told me they have cancelled surgeries before if they are short staffed ...My doctor put a rush on testing so I start testing on Monday and my surgery is the 19th 

Surgery Date February 19th, 2015..... Cancelled due to the DECH in Fredericton not having any Beds :( 

Re-booked for March 19th, 2015

Goal #1 - Training for Mudd Sweat and Tears on August 15th, 2015 - all 10km's completed! 

Goal #2 - Achieving Goal weight!

merry1126
on 3/5/15 1:22 pm
VSG on 06/17/15

When my surgeon ordered a sleep study for me, he told me if I had sleep apnea the anesthesiolgist would require me be on the machine for a month prior to surgery. I was diagnosed with mild apnea.  My PCP told me she would need a clearance from the pulmonologist  before approving surgery because she was worried about me waking up from surgery.  I've been the machine a over month now while finishing up my other requirements.  Try not to see this as a setback. Best of luck.

FuturePinUp
on 3/6/15 1:56 am

This is my concern as well. I already know I have sleep apnea (pretty severe case) and have always dreaded using the CPAP machine. I didn't even think about it as a requirement for surgery, so this is good to know, since when I go to my pulmonary appointment at the end of the month, it won't be a shock to anyone. I guess I will finally have to suck it up and get a CPAP machine although it's a little scary to me, being a newlywed and all, but I know it's for the best.

My only concern with sleep apnea is that...I have always had it, even at my thinnest (200 lbs) I had severe apnea. I have a feeling mine won't go away with weight loss and I will need additional surgery due to the excess tissue build-up in my throat. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Meghan704
on 3/6/15 4:28 am
VSG on 06/16/15

It makes me feel so much better I'm not the only one. I knew I had severe sleep apnea as well but just chose not to persue the cpap. Now I have to. Although I dread this, it makes sense. The pulmonologist told me people who have severe sleep apnea stop breathing after surgery is done in recovery and can go into repritatory failure and even die. funny you say you have excess tissue, I have large tonsils and my airways in the back of my throat are really small so I'm also afraid I will always have sleep apnea as well. I'm starting to get scared and stress about recovery because of this now too. ... I'm also a newlywed lol so the whole thing really freaks me out. Weird how much we have in common :)

FuturePinUp
on 3/6/15 5:26 am

Yes! I also have rather large tonsils and have been told I need a CPAP but have been avoiding it because at the time I was younger, just moved in with my ex, and wasn't ready to start sleeping with this device over my face. Even now I hate the idea of it, since it seems off-putting for cuddles or anything else. If temporary though, I think I can manage and just hope that when I'm at goal, I can either get rid of it or pursue another avenue like surgery. :)

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active