Anyone experience a late leak?

karlykay
on 3/26/15 1:21 pm

Hey Everyone, 

I'm wondering if there are any of you out there who discovered a leak weeks after your surgery? I am 9 weeks post op and for the past few weeks, I have had some pain on my left side, in my back behind my ribcage. It felt like muscular pain at first and there is a pretty big knot in there.  What worries me is that I am still experiencing this pain. Could this be a sign of a leak? I have no other symptoms besides the back pain. I was a self pay patient and had surgery in MX, so my resources are rather limited. I'm not sure who I would even go see to get this checked out. Thoughts from any of you that have experienced this? 

Thanks!

rocky513
on 3/26/15 1:27 pm - WI

If you had a leak you would be VERY sick.  You would likely develop a fever from sepsis.  It would not present like muscle pain or "knots".  9 weeks is still early out from surgery.  You are still healing. I had tweaks and twinges of pain for months after surgery. If your pain is not severe, I wouldn't worry about it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

karlykay
on 3/26/15 1:50 pm

Thanks. I'm trying not to be paranoid... I was just concerned because the pain is kind of unusual and I've read a lot of conflicting  information on the issue. Thanks for your input!

mickeymantle
on 3/26/15 5:21 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

almost all leaks happen in the first 3 weeks according to my surgeon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Ellie333
on 3/26/15 9:31 pm - Canada

I did have a leak early on (5-6 days out), my best advise is to get a thermometer and take your temperature.  A fever is a classic sign and your pain would be sever.  My fever spiked and there was no doubt about the pain, it was extremely intense ( not just a discomfort) and it radiated up into my chest to my left shoulder.  Possibly you family doctor could shed some light.  Good luck.

Ellie

Sandra F.
on 3/26/15 11:21 pm

Could be a hernia?  This is from webmd.com:

"In an incisional hernia, the intestine pushes through the abdominal wall at the site of previous abdominal surgery. This type is most common in elderly or overweight people who are inactive after abdominal surgery."

Gwen M.
on 3/27/15 5:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Could be your gallbladder.  Could be a kidney stone.  If it's not ER-level pain, I'd go to my PCP for a radiology prescription.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

FWTX131
on 3/27/15 5:52 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 10/22/14

Check that side and see if the incision is a little bigger.  My surgeon said you may have pain on that side because that is where they take out the excess stomach they remove.  I had soreness on that side for a long time.

emelar
on 3/27/15 6:35 am - TX

More likely gallbladder or just an internal location where they moved the equipment around and something got pulled.  Can you contact the surgeon in MX and ask?  Many of them do follow-up via email/phone/text.  I'd at least ask them the question and see what they recommend.

Hislady
on 3/27/15 8:11 am - Vancouver, WA

The gall bladder is on the right side so "probably" not that but could be referred pain. More likely kidney pain in which case could be infection or a stone so see you PCP for diagnosis. We really aren't that good at it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views