sugar

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/15 4:57 am

Hello VSers,

I am looking into sugar.How much sugar can you tolerate? Does that include sugar from dairy, fruit, and carbs from grains? I want to avoid dumping and am working at modifying now b4 my surgery date so it will be my lifestyle already. 

Thanks!

ElizaM
on 3/27/15 5:11 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Okay, so, the general consensus is that people do not dump with VSG. That is a phenomenon specific to RNY. VSGers may feel like CRAP when they eat sugar, but it's probably just that sugar makes people, including non-WLS people, feel like crap (especially if you haven't had any in a while).

So it's not really a question of "how much can you tolerate," but in my mind, "how much can you avoid." 

Alright, so. There are a bunch of different sugars out there: lactose (the sugar in milk), sucrose (you'll find it in table sugar, corn syrup, etc.), fructose (in fruit, agave syrup, and table sugar/corn syrup). I don't think people typically consider glucose or maltose sugars, but basically anything with an -ose is a sugar.

Your body doesn't really make a distinction between the fructose in pineapple and the fructose in table sugar. You'll want to avoid both while in weight loss mode and I would consider cutting out any non-fruit sources of sugar for life. There is a growing consensus that sugar is just really bad news. 

I personally avoid lactose, because post op I am lactose intolerant. But I eat yogurt, because I don't have trouble with it, and the fermenting changes most of the lactose into lactic acid. It doesn't seem to be as hard on the body as fructose or sucrose.

IME, the most successful people here cut out almost all carbs while they're losing, whether it's from grains, milk, or fruit. Carbs under 40 is ideal, IMO. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

mickeymantle
on 3/27/15 6:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

any one can dump but it is rare for people with vsg , or no wls

people with the rny have a 30% chance of being a dumper

the best reason to stay away from sugar is its high calories , you should be eating around 30 gm of carbs after vsg and they should come from fruit and veggies , not donuts and cookies

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/15 12:49 am

I plan to avoid sugar, its the secret sugar i may be exposed to in a sauce if i eat out or the yogurt i like to eat to help meet my protein goals. I was concerned these things might make me sick. I love sugar, so its going to be a very specific treat that i will put my sugar allowance to. By knowing that all sugars will be counted will help me plan better. Do any of you hahave a favorite low carb sweet treat as a go to when you crave. Preferrably with stevia, i cant do other sugar alcahols, they make me sick.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views