Blurred Vision After Sleeve

Bbinder2002
on 3/28/15 12:53 pm

so I am 2 days out and have noticed blurred vision.  They told me not to touch a patch that was on my neck and I didn't.  They had me stop taking blood pressure medication at the hospital.  I have been checking my pressure and it has pretty much been around 130/95.  I decided to take my medicine even though they told me to stop because I think it is high.  I also started wondering if high blood pressure was contributing to blurred vision.  I was also instructed not to take vitamins till I get to day 7.  I am on day 3.  Any thoughts?

zballard
on 3/28/15 1:03 pm - NYC, NY
VSG on 10/08/14

If you are very concerned, it is always best to go to the Emergency Room and have them tell you, there is nothing wrong. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

5ft HW 244 SW      

KeishaLeigh
on 3/28/15 1:10 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

After my surgery  I did notice a change in my vision for the first week or so. It was blurry and hard to focus. It did eventually   go back to normal. However if yours is really bad you a want to get it checked just in case.

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

docbad32
on 3/28/15 1:40 pm

It's the patch for anti-nausea.  At least it was for me.  Went away about two days after I removed it.

VSG:  3/12/15

Hislady
on 3/28/15 3:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

The anesthesia can cause blurry vision for a few days after surgery. It will get better. I would follow the instructions from the hospital your tummy is very tender and swollen right now plus the nerves have been cut so you are not able to feel what is going on inside your tummy. The vitamins are probably too harsh on your stomach right away. If you continue on your BP meds it can cause fainting if you don't need them so be very careful.

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 3/28/15 10:19 pm
VSG on 03/16/15

I remember being in the hospital and every 10 min they let me push the morphine button. I started having blurred vision after a while. But once they took me off of that and I stepped down taking 2 dilauded every 4 hr it wasn't as bad. Then when I stopped them on day 4. then my vision cleared. So my issue is I havent even drank a beer in over 20 years. I hope yours is no different than mine. Good luck and speedy recovery. 

E

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

Pianolover
on 3/29/15 12:56 am

Like someone said above, blurred vision can be an effect of anesthesia or the anti-nausea patch. I brought my kindle with me to the hospital, expecting that I'd want to read post-op with nothing fun to do in the hospital. I tried reading for a few minutes but my eyes couldn't focus. Even until day 3 or so my vision was still blurry trying to read anything.

Blurred vision/headaches can be a sign that BP is too high, but a number like 130/95 is not too high. As for the vitamins on day 7, follow dr's orders!

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Maria27
on 3/29/15 2:27 am, edited 3/29/15 2:28 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

The anti-nausea patch did that to me too. I had the nurse remove it a few hours after surgery, and my vision was better by the next day. As for the vitamins, my program only has us take a chewable multivitamin until our two week appointment. Then we start the rest.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Kiwideb
on 3/29/15 3:21 am
VSG on 01/19/15

I experienced blurred vision for a week, but that said, I also had pneumonia... :)

So, I'm an office manager at an optometry practice and also an Optician - here's my two cents

Nausea patch - they tell you not to rub it as the medicine, if rubbed in to the eye area, can cause you to dilate. And it works good and proper! Can keep that eye dilated a couple of days if you do it well. 

High blood pressure / high bs levels and a rapid drop there of : both of these diseases can effect vision greatly, but not necessarily from the point of view of changing your vision ( although, that can happen and of course visual disturbance from over medicating / under medicating can be a side effect). As I understand it, High BS causes more vision fluctuation vs BP (please bear in mind I'm not a doc), but both can cause major damage internally to the eye when left untreated.

Anesthesia has a lot to answer for for many things, I wouldn't think twice about being visually effected by it. 

Personally, I did a little research in to how WLS effects vision. I have a large amount of astigmatism that has crept up with the weight (always been high diopters but gotten more so) and held out a small hope that with weight loss and improvement of Bs that I might see some movement on my RX. Sources say it might occur for some, but they are outliers and the wls doesn't affect  vision. *shrug* I'll still hope a little anyway :)

Gwen M.
on 3/29/15 4:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had the same experience.  It freaked me out!  But, then it passed.  

I think that if the hospital told you to stop taking your blood pressure medicine, that you should stop taking your blood pressure medicine.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views