Good news, Bummer News

Y D.
on 3/30/15 2:20 pm
VSG on 01/19/15 with

good news is my labs came back looking great which is awesome :) ten weeks post op and all is well.

the bummer is, I was in a car accident last week and broke my foot :( I'll be in a cast for 8 weeks. I'm thankful that's the extent of my injuries, truly. I just can't help but wonder how this decreased mobility will affect my losses. And I wont be able to weigh myself either :/

any tips on how I can best manage the situation to stay on track and not being able to weigh myself for two months?

bummah.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/30/15 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Any reason why you can't weigh yourself for two months? You know what your weight was before the cast. So weigh yourself and do the math to subtract the weight of the cast and keep weighing! If it is another reason and you really can't then just focus on the right choices one meal at a time and know that inactivity for two months will not throw off your weight loss if you put the right things in your mouth.

I really am a total slacker when it comes to exercise and pay my gym membership like a tax...don't go much unfortunately. Because it is good for you and when I do go I enjoy it. But weight loss is 90% 'diet' and 10% being active. I lost and am maintaining without much exercise. 

this being said you can still exercise without using your foot. Weights, stationary bike using only one leg? There are exercises that are done sitting down or laying down without having to use one or both legs.

hope the break was not too nast and will heal fully!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

November18
on 3/30/15 10:12 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Glad your accident was not more serious. A broken foot is a bummer though. I broke mine 3 years ago and put on 30 lbs! It was one of the last contributing factors to me having the surgery. I just could not get those 30lbs off; and every time I took off a few' I would put them back on with friends!! Be careful. It's just that you are so limited in moving, it is easy to just want to eat. Don't eat around your sleeve. Good Luck to you!!!!!

Bonnie

MissNexxie
on 3/30/15 11:15 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Track your food religiously and compensate for the loss of activity calories. Meaning, you're moving less so may need less calories during recovery. That said, there are chair workouts available online to keep your upper body active without impacting your foot.

About weighing, weigh yourself with your cast and use that as your baseline for weighing going forward. Even if its 10lbs higher because of the cast you can use that number to track your progress weekly. Do not weigh yourself if it is any risk for your foot. Tracking your food will suffice. Keep up with your water and protein targets.

Take care.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/31/15 12:11 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yeah it's a bummer when you can't be active when you want to. Luckily it's like what the other op said & weight loss is really from the food choices you make. Exercise is cuz it's healthy & good for your body. I was really into my cardio walkout routines, then for some reason my knee & ankle said screw this I want a break & now I have to take a break from that routine this week. 

At least your cast will be off by the time summer kicks in. Try concentrating on NSV & not the scale so much, smaller clothes is a great motivator!. Good Luck, feel better.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

KayDeeCee
on 3/31/15 2:21 am
VSG on 01/26/15

Yaara...I am so sorry to hear about your broken foot. If you can't weigh yourself because you can't put any weight on your foot, then just look forward to the "scale reveal" once you can put weight on the foot! :-) I agree that although exercise is helpful, that what we eat is the most important factor in weight loss. I love your new picture...You look wonderful! Congratulations!! :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

Y D.
on 3/31/15 4:23 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Thanks everyone! It's a non-weight bearing cast so my dr said to stay of of it as much as possible, but for brief moments it's ok, just not for walking.

my last recorded weight was 188, and for kicks I hopped on this morning and it's still 188, but this time I'm in a house dress and a fiberglass cast instead of nude as I typically weigh. 

Part of me is thinking that if the extra stuff is about 3 lbs, I must weigh about 185, and I should track that. The other side of me says, just track whatever it says cast and all, and enjoy a big whoosh when I'm back to normal.

what do you think?? Seeing the numbers is so motivating but I strive for accuracy. I'm not the quickest loser so every pound is extra precious hehe.

Most Active