6 days post-op and MISERABLE - need a Pep Talk

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 10:59 am

Need a little pep talk from people who've "been there." I don't need suggestions or recommendations - unless you know how to make a protein shake with unflavored protein taste good without artificial sweeteners, stevia, fruit, sugar or yogurt. I just want to hear that other people have experienced what I'm going through and made it.

I had my VSG on Tuesday, April 14 and today is the first day I've let it get in my head, mostly because I'm physically feeling miserable. I'm still on "clear liquids," which according to the dietitian includes the super-heavy Bariatric Advantage protein drinks, and aspertame-full jell-o.

Artificial sweeteners are huge migraine triggers for me (also...allergic to stevia), so I can't really drink the shakes they've given me, or eat sugar-free jello. But I have, because being on narcotic pain meds has kind of kept that in chec****il today. I've got a raging migraine and have been nauseated all day, even after taking the prescribed anti-nausea meds and my prescription migraine med.
I have been trying to make my own shakes with unflavored protein powder and extracts, but holy hell, they taste NASTY! Seriously, my mom and I both gagged on a couple of the ones I tried.

All I want is a saltine and some ginger ale, but both of those are huge no-nos, especially at this point. I'm wondering if it was all worth it. Wondering if I can even make it to the real-food stage. Sure, I've lost 12.5lbs since Tuesday. Anyone can lose weight like that if all they're consuming is water and broth.

I am still looking for a support group. The one from my hospital is all fine and dandy, except that the next one isn't until May 4 and it is physically impossible for me to get there at the meeting time without some kind of teleportation device or a personal helicopter.

At this point, this is the only place where I can turn. I'm crossing off the days on the calendar like a convict in prison. 8 to go until I can add in milk and creamed soups. 15 until I can start mushies. 8-10 weeks until real food.

My friends and family have all been supportive. (although my dad often says things without thinking, like reading the coupons and mentioning the carrabba's new menu items). One friend has been through this, and is an unhappy person altogether, so isnt' much help. One friend had the duodenal switch and is in a state of 15-weeks pregnant euphoria. Two others had failed lap bands and are watching me to see if they want the VSG as a next step. Everyone else...has no clue.

Anyway, thank you for letting me share my drugged-up stream of consciousness freak-out with you. Like I said, any commiseration would be helpful. And if you know of any support groups inside the DC beltway on the Virginia side, please share.

JoeyJo
on 4/19/15 11:08 am - NJ

Ask your doctor if you can have strained Miso soup.

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 11:27 am

Will do in the AM.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

Oneillch
on 4/19/15 11:42 am
VSG on 02/04/15

It may take a while, but you will start feeling better once you are able to find the things that work for you. Try adding your unflavored protein powder to warm broth or decaf tea. Sometimes warm liquids go down so much easier.  That's what I would do in order to get my liquids & protein at first.

Support groups in my area only meet once a week & if I waited a month, I'd have been miserable. I've been on this site at least once a day & I've learned so much from what others have experienced or are doing. There are people here who are new, like me (10+weeks), people who are dealing with the same problems as yourself (click on the magnifying glass at the top of the page to do a search), and people who are veterans. All have info & experiences that you can or will use. Take care and feel better!

Loser2542
on 4/19/15 11:35 am

I am sorry you are so miserable. I must admit, I was too, and I wonderd what the heck I did, and I didn't have migraines. The good news is that the misery will pass. I tried to focus on why I had the surgery, staying hydrated, and listened to lots of music because music is my happy place. I hope you start to feel better soon!!!

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 11:46 am

Thank you. My "prize at the end" is being able to ride a roller coaster with my niece and nephew. I haven't been on a good one since 2003.

Age: 33; Height: 5'7"; VSG 4/14/15; HW: 344lbs (Jan '15); SW: 330lbs; GW#1: 170lbs 

sds0029
on 4/19/15 11:37 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Strain some Progresso light chicken soup and the broth to light chicken broth.  The task is amazing.  Hang in there.  

JoeyJo
on 4/19/15 11:49 am - NJ

My favorite after the clear liquids phase - during full liquids- was Campbell's potato soup made with milk instead of water with Isopure unflavored protein  added - and blended to get rid of the lumps.

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 12:36 pm

That sounds amazing. I've got cream of cheddar standing by. I might mix it with some tomato soup.

AACK 8 days until I can have it!!!

Hislady
on 4/20/15 6:59 am, edited 4/20/15 6:59 am - Vancouver, WA

Are you getting all your water in because dehydration can cause headaches and nausea too. Altho I know from experience migraines are miserable some of it might be needing more plain water. I hope you feel better soon, it will be worth it in the long run, now is just not a fun time! Maybe call your doc and see if you can advance a little sooner as long since you are having so much trouble.

Most Active