Help! What am I doing wrong 6 1/2 weeks post op

sleeve_scholar
on 4/23/15 10:46 pm
VSG on 03/09/15

Hello folks, I need help from my seasoned sleevers. I started this journey at 367 pounds, surgery weight was 344 pounds. Today, 6 1/2 weeks later I am at 325 pounds and I feel like its not working. At my 2 week post op doctor's appointment I weighed in at 329 pounds and my surgeon was very pleased with the results. I haven't been weighed until today only to discover that I have only lost 6 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks and that has me very concerned about my progress.

I just started feeling restriction a week ago, so I get full very quickly and can only eat small portions. For the past two weeks I have begun exercising 4 days a week on the treadmill only for an hour. I drink daily my 64 oz. of water, and get 60+ grams of protein. Let me describe what I eat as follows:

Breakfast - either a scrambled egg w/cheese or an Quaker Oaks Oatmeal cup

Snack - Premier Protein Shake

Lunch - Side salad from McDonald's low fat basalmic dressing and a Starkist Tuna Creations Single Serve packet

Dinner - Fish, veggies

I can tell that some changes are taking place because the evidence is there. I can now wear smaller shirts and pants and fit shirts and pants that I couldn't just last year with some shirts I wasn't able to wear for a few years. So I know something is happening. 

For the life of me why haven't I lost more weight? Have I stalled already? Do I need to change things up in my daily diet? Is it too early for me to be freaking out? I need some help and encouragement because I hate to feel as if I had WLS and it's not working. Did I also mention that I'm a patience person and that's the reason why I haven't been on the scale on a daily or weekly basis. Maybe I need to start monitoring my progress on a weekly basis at least.

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -- Jim Rohn

ipray
on 4/24/15 12:24 am
VSG on 11/06/14

It sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Are you sure your scale isn't broken? Maybe you should check back in with your surgeon or nutritionist as it could be something medical not related to your surgery. Try eating different foods from your plan instead of having the same foods everyday. (My nut told us speciifically not to eat the same foods every day). I wish I had better advice for you. Maybe some of the vets will respond and have better answers for you. Don't give up and hang in there!

momsy55
on 4/24/15 1:02 am - ME

Sounds like you're doing fine.  You probably hit the famous 3 week stall, which can last awhile.  You also lost a significant amount pre-op, which can impact on initial weight loss, but it all evens out.  Sending hugs and reassurances!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Elizabeth C.
on 4/24/15 2:18 am - Mansfield, TX

I think you are doing great and you are probably just at a stall.  I have stalled a LOT so far in my journey.  But since you're asking for advise, I'll give you my 2 cents. :)

My personal daily goals are the following:
Protein 80+ grams a day
Carbs less than 40 per day
Liquids 64+ oz per day
Take all my vitamins daily
Exercise daily

I personally don't eat any of the following: Fruit, bread, pasta, beans, sweets or sugar in any form... 

At 2 months, I was only eating protein, no veggies.  Now I may have a few bites of veggies after I eat all my protein.  I was doing eggs scrambled with jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles and maybe a sprinkle of cheese, but not oatmeal.  I'm still not eating oatmeal because it just has to many carbs for my personal daily goals.  I also rarely do a salad.  If I do have a salad, I mostly eat the toppings which I make sure are protein packed.

I also weigh everyday.  This does not work for everyone.  Some people get more discouraged.  I do it and know not to get frustrated if it goes up a lb because your weight does fluctuate from day to day.  I would encourage you to at least weigh in once a week, on the same day at the same time.

It will work, just keep following the plan and it will work. :)  Like I said, I have had a lot of stalls.... you can see my month to month progress in my signature line.  I have cried many times thinking this isn't working for me like it is everyone else.  But now looking back, I can see I have made tremendous progress...  not only with my weight loss, but with how I look at food. :)

5'-5" ~ Lap Band 03/2008 Converted to Sleeve 11/6/2014 HW 296 Start Pre Op Diet for Sleeve 226 SW 217 -9 M1: 202 -15 M2: 196 -6 M3: 186 -10 M4: 180 -6 M5: 176 -4 M6: 171 -5 M7: 167 -4 M8: 165 -2 M9: 161 -4 M10: 158 -3 M11: 158 -0

Tracy D.
on 4/24/15 2:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You are probably just in a stall, which isn't uncommon.  Here are some ideas I will throw out there for you though: 

1.  Water - you're not drinking close to enough for someone your size and who is exercising for an hour a day.  Aim for 100 oz. 

2.  You are exercising an HOUR A DAY!  That's awesome!  But it also means your body will be inflamed and will hang onto every ounce of water.  Once your body is done being shocked (usually a couple weeks) you'll drop tha****er weight.  In the meantime, check your measurements, you're probably getting smaller. 

3.  Quaker Oats Oatmeal cups are lethal!  Lots of carbs and sugar...you don't need it at this point.  

4.  At 6-1/2 weeks, try and get up to 80 grams of protein in per day.  Add in some greek yogurt for an evening snack.  If you can get 2 eggs down at breakfast, try that.  More protein.  

And yes, it's WAY to early for you to be freaking out.  Accept the fact that this is how your body loses weight and enjoy the journey.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 4/24/15 4:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 4/25/15 1:14 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

salad is a waste at this point , and check the dressing for calories probably a lot more than you think , low fat does not mean low calories , especially at fast food places

the oat meal is a lot of carbs and no protien

after eating 2-4 oz of fish there should be no room for veggies so early

most nuts require  heavy weights like us to eat 80 gm protien

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views