Hair loss & Biotin intake

peachy08
on 5/19/15 7:28 pm

Hey all,  

I keep reading on the forums about the dreaded "3 month post surgery hair loss"... Anyone not have significant hair loss? For those that did lose a lot of hair were you using Biotin as a supplement leading up to and after your VSG surgery? I was advised when I first inquired about the VSG to take Biotin to help promote growth and strength. I started taking it immediately in August of last year. I had my surgery on 4/22/15. Have already seen pretty good progress at 38+ pounds down. I am 1 month post op tomorrow and am eating pretty good w/ protein and working out. What have you guys experienced? How long does the hair loss usually last?  I'm very curious to see if different habits had different outcomes. Thanks! 😊

- Peachy   

momsy55
on 5/20/15 6:40 am - ME

Hi Peachy!  Congrats on your success so far!  I was one of the extremely lucky ones, as I had no hair loss at all.  I kept waiting for it to happen, but it never did.  I don't think I did anything that prevented the loss.  I didn't take biotin, though I know it is supposed to help with strengthening hair and nails.  I met my fluid and protein intake guidelines almost from day one, and took daily vitamins, along with calcium, and that was about it.  I think it's just the luck of the draw, with some, like me, having no hair loss, to some having significant loss, with most being somewhere in-between.  The good news is that the hair does grow back.  I had three co-workers who had RNY and all lost hair, but it wasn't very noticeable.  They either wore their hair up, or got it cut in a style that worked with the loss and looked flattering.  Hope your hair loss is minimal!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

peachy08
on 5/19/15 11:52 pm, edited 5/19/15 11:54 pm

Thanks for the feed back! My Mom and Brother had the RNY and their hair loss was pretty significant. That's why I get nervous. Although they didn't quite do things the "right way". I guess I'll have to expect the worse and pray for the best! 

- Peachy   

iloveravens
on 5/20/15 7:02 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I lost a ton of hair, but I had a ton of hair, so it was barely noticeable.  The worst was between months 3-6.  Now it's back to normal.  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Bufflehead
on 5/20/15 7:11 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I lost a ton of hair despite starting on biotin and zinc supplements well before surgery and getting in all my protein every single day starting the day after surgery. I took the biotin and zinc despite the fact that every scientific look at this issue says biotin won't prevent hair loss and my surgeon confirmed it -- I didn't want to end up regretting not trying. I ended up regretting wasting a bunch of money. I did notice my hair on my chin and other undesirable areas growing faster, not sure if it was related or not but I did not appreciate it.

wyo_sarah
on 5/20/15 7:49 am

I'd heard that some people have that problem...hair growing where you don't want it to.  I didn't have that problem.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/20/15 7:15 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Biotin won't stop hair loss on your head, but too much will help you grow a nice, full beard.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

wyo_sarah
on 5/20/15 7:48 am

I think I lost about half my hair.  I didn't take biotin before, but I have been taking it fairly faithfully since.  My hair loss has finally stopped...I think it stopped at about 7-8 months post op.  My hair doesn't seem any thicker, but my stylist can tell a difference.  I didn't lose enough for it to be noticable to anyone but me and my stylist.

peachy08
on 5/20/15 8:11 am

Funny some of you should mention hair growth on chin!! One of the reasons I decided to go with the VSG was because I am a sufferer of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS).

For those with excess hair growth on abnormal areas (obviously women only), did you have PCOS? Or possible unknown menstrual cycle issues, cyst on ovaries and/or issues getting pregnant? 

- Peachy   

veggiegal10
on 5/25/15 1:24 pm

I have PCOS too and it was also one of the reasons I opted for weight loss surgery in general.  I was concerned about hair loss because my hair was kind of thin to begin with and I definitely didn't want those areas to get worse.  I do unfortunately have some growth on my chin.  Uuugh.  Requires vigilance until I cough up the money for hair removal. 

I find that protein still affects the hair on my head more than biotin ever did.  So I just try to keep up on that.  Also requires some vigilance because even slacking for a couple of days can have an affect. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck!

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views